Playing AVI Files in Quicktime.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macgeek2005, May 5, 2006.

1. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I'm sure alot of you already know what my question is, but i'll ask it anyway.

How do I get a .avi file to play in quicktime without it saying theres missing components. On my Dual G4 tower I can play them just fine, because I installed some component a year or so ago, and I forget what it was, and how I did it.

Help. I can't play any avi files on my brothers intel iMac!!! Thanks.

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Use VLC, it will play just about any file you throw at it. For any pesky Windows Media files, use Flip4Mac (UB coming soon...)

3. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

Google up "divx beta intel" and download it. it should fix MOST of your problems if your files are converted from DivX. Still waiting for the AC3 Codec for Intel.. the ones out all seem to be fake.

4. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have that. But I want quicktime to play all my files. It playes them all on my tower, why shouldn't it on any other mac?

5. macgeek2005 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, what about non-intel macs?

6. Lebowski macrumors 6502

um , you yourself said you added a codec to the quicktime on the tower, hence it works on that machine, since you dont know what you did add, nor have it on your new imac, how is it gonna play them?

if you ask a question and then someone gives you an answer you dont like, it doesnt mean your question wasnt answered.

7. zorg macrumors regular

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep - and PopWire too, until F4M goes UB.

9. smizz macrumors newbie

look... grab a disk... go to the computer that plays those movies... go to macintosh HD/Library/quicktime/ and grab up all those files your other computer doesnt have... also look in yourhomefolder/library/quicktime and see if theres anything in there... grab all those files and toss it in a disk... bring it over to the other comuter and copy in back into macintosh HD/Library/quicktime/... i think you might need to restart and bara bing bara boom...

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

OK to play them in Quicktime you need to get

DivX
    for DivX .avi's
    then XVid
    for XVid .avi's

then 3ivx for 3ivx files

and finally

Flip4Mac
    for WMV files.

11. Idgit macrumors 6502