Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KooBrewoP

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2004
behind you!
trying to get an avi to play, symptoms = no picture, full but sound, ( on VLC ), DIVX doctor 2 not helped ether :confused:

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....VLC is another decent player.....oh yeah!

He said he tried VLC, and it didn't work. Although, if you don't have the latest version I would recommend updating to the newest release. Also, make sure you have the latest version of the 3ivx or Divx plugin, and then you could try playing the file in Quicktime.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
GovornorPhatt said:
AFAIK, only Quicktime Pro can play avi files. You may need to install the free DivX codec to play some avi files.
You don't know very far. Whether or not you pay the $29 for QuickTime Pro has nothing to do with it. You need the DivX codec and/or the 3ivx codec. These play DivX-encoded .avi files. For old fashioned .avi files, you need the Indeo codecs. They, however, only work in Classic. Indeo 3, 4, and 5 have never been ported to MacOS X.

Beck446

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
What about WMA files that give the following error report:

"In order to play this file, you need to upgrade your media player to a version compatible with Windows Media Rights Manager V7"

Do you all know of any player that will play one of these?

Thanks

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
GovornorPhatt said:
AFAIK, only Quicktime Pro can play avi files.

You are wrong. VLC and MPlayer will play avi files as well - in fact, I don't need to use QuickTime (Pro or otherwise) for any video playback!

I would recommend making sure your divx codecs are up to date - this is usually the problem when issues like this are encountered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.