playing avis out to firewire digicam?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thetorpedo, Dec 15, 2005.

1. thetorpedo macrumors newbie

I was wondering whether there was a media player that would play out through a firewire connection to my digital camera so i can use my mac as a player and have the video come up on a video monitor?

I do editing so i know i can do this in final cut, imovie etc and with "simple video out" i can play out some quicktime files but is there any player that just plays everything out, especially avi's, so i dont have to import them and convert them into editing apps?

basically i want to play movies out to a video monitor without unplugging one of my DVI monitors to use an DVI - sVideo adaptor.

cheers

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Have you tried Echo Fire.

I have not tried it with non-DV source files, but still a very useful app.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Describe your set-up in more detail so we can help you.

A DV camera can only convert the digital firewire connection to and analog S-Video connection if the digital source material is in DV, so you will likely have to convert first.

If you are on a powermac you could add an extra video card with an S-Video output

4. thetorpedo thread starter macrumors newbie

If you are on a powermac you could add an extra video card with an S-Video output[/QUOTE]

i have a power mac dual g5 with a dv cam - an svideo is maybe what i need - if the amc will push the video out through it - just wanting to play movies in the lounge without having to put them on dvd

can you reccomend any cards? and are they easy to install myself