playing avi's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bursty, Mar 3, 2004.

1. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

why cant Quicktime 6.5 play avi files in OSX. On my PC, quicktime 6.5 can play avi files perfectly....does anyone know what program i need to play avi's?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

you need to get an app called DivxDoctor (look on versiontracker.com).

QuickTime sucks at playing avis correctly without doctoring them with DivXDoctor, so you might want to consider using Mplayer (also, look on versiontracker) or VLC (http://www.videolan.org) to play your AVIs.

3. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

VLC is the way to go. Get it from VersionTracker.

Also you can find a DivX codec for quicktime that works just fine (no need for DivX Doctor).

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

I've tried both the 3ivx (crappy) and DivX (distorted/missing sound) codecs, no workie (well). VLC/Mplayer was better. But since former versions of VLC were crappy (now they're pretty good looking and good too) and Mplayer uses up a lot of resources, I find it easier to use DivXDoctor to change the avi to a QuickTime movie.

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i almost never use quick time..cox it hardly plays anythigs and i cant get full screen...vlc almost plays erverything..rest , mplayer
    cheers

6. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Quicktime "sucks" at playing .avi's because most .avi's today are actually encoded using the DiVX codecs, which are very poorly designed. Personally I find avi's to have crappy quality, but because they can create smaller file sizes they are commonly used on the internet because of bandwidth.

7. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

ported from linux

mplayer, but its called MPlayer OS X. Its good for playing divx, xvid, i think even wmv.

[​IMG]

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

actually its not crappy DivX codecs, its the lack of codecs for Mac OS X that make QuickTime bad at playing AVIs. After all, AVIs were originally called VFW files (Video for Windows). And a whole bunch of other things. Sucks to be a Mac user sometimes, but there are a bunch of ways to get past the difficulty of playing AVIs.

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Not meaning to sound pro-DivX or anti-DivX here, but I'm pretty sure the codecs themselves should be OS agnostic.

10. Golem macrumors 6502

Good just the information I needed to play the latest blizzard video!

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

divx isnt the only codec here, hellooo....

and i'm talking about AVIs in general, not just ones encoded with DivX.

12. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

umm..underworld...that was some sh*t a** movie man :D

13. TBR macrumors 6502

I often play avi's in many different avi formats and have never had a problem with VLC playing anything except wmv and I use mplayer for that.

Quicktime is best for mac format files, and does play fullscreen if you go pro.

14. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I use VideoLan www.videolan.org , it supports DVDs as well so I think it is better than MPlayer. VideoLan plays just about every video and audio file format out there. Including WM, quicktime and RealMedia.

15. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

since when does vlc play realmedia? both mplayer and vlc claim to but neither does.

I myself use both players in combination. I use vlc as my strait up player as I like its full screen better and it also seems to play a bit smoother than mplayer. I use mplayer for anything I want to scrub through as it has 3 different ways to scrub and they all work well. mplayer seems to be a bit more compatible with the many a/v codecs. wmv or asf files seems to play better on mplayer and the odd avi or mpg where the audio won't work on vlc it will always work fine on mplayer. vlc has far better playlists.

I can't really chose a fav. as I seem to like and need both.

16. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I wanted to add that when I upgraded to a G4 cpu it made a huge difference with both these players. the G4/500 is only 150MHz faster than my original G3 chip but the difference it made was like it was 1GHz faster. they both utilize altivec very well. with the original G3/350 any decent quality rip was quite choppy. back then I had to use mplayer because of its "drop frame rates on slower machines" option. choppiness is now a thing of the past even on the highest quality rips thanks to the blessing of altivec.

17. Opteron macrumors 6502

And it's bootlegged, but I'm not making a fuss about that.

Rather good resolution though.

18. AhmedFaisal Guest

AVIs play fine in Quicktime 6.5

As long as they have AVI standard audio or MP3/AC3/Ogg/AAC as for those there are codecs out. The latest DivX.com codec has an importer feature that fixes the MP3 problem and with the AC3 component also allows AVI playback with AC3 audio. If your video is encoded with Xvid you might either want to use DivXTool to change the FOURCC from Xvid to DivX or also get the Xvid.component that will add Xvid functionality to the DivX codec. I actually have the 3ivX codec installed together with the DivX codec as the decoder of the 3ivX codec is faster and I can still use the AVI Importer feature from the DivX.com codec. This combination of codecs allows playback of the following formats:

Video
    DivX 3.11, 4, 5
    Xvid
    MS-MPEG4.4 (FOURCC MP43)
    3ivX

with these audio for AC3 and MP3 works just fine, AAC audio as well btw.
    Problems are still with files encoded with MS-MPEG4.1, MS-MPEG4.2 and MS-MPEG4.3 (FOURCCs MPG4, MP41, MP42) These can be played back with the FFusion codec, however the audio will not work like that so you might either want to use DivXDoctor to convert the files to MOV (faster) or reencode them as DivX with audio passthrough (slower but then the files will also work on hardware DivX players, like the KiSS DVD Player).

There are problems with DivX AVI files that use closed source Audio codecs such as WMA8 and WMA9, ask Microsoft if they finally get their asses up and write Quicktime codecs for their crap..... For WMA8 there is a converter out (DivXWMAConverter) that will convert the audio into MP3 for WMA9 it is in the works, it depends on how quickly the FFmpeg and mplayer folks can hack the MS codecs to work without having to use Win32 DLLs. In the meantime flame anyone who uses those ****ty codecs in the first place.

On a sidenote, there is also no Indeo Video codec for OSX. Ligos (the company that makes Indeo) and Apple both point fingers at each other and say the other is to blame for that, so I guess it will never happen that there will be an OSX codec.

VLC and MPlayer of course will playback AVIs without much hassle and especially VLC 7.1 also has a greatly improved support for OGM and MKV video files, I however prefer to convert all my files to standard conforming AVIs (meaning DivX codec support DivX video and MP3 audio) simply because that way they will also work in my KiSS DVD Player.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

19. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

do you work for the film industry? what do you care?

the more people that buy movies the bigger film budgets get. besides, out of illegal music, sw and movie downloads the movies are the ones no one is really concerned about. downloading a movie is no worse than making a copy of a video tape. no offense but all you good doers toward the music and film industry are kinda pathetic. I feel its wrong to pirate software as it is the whole lifeblood of a sw company but the film and music industries squander so much money on meaningless things. if film and music gave away half its money to the homeless they would all still be rich and there would also be no more homeless.

think about that the next time you knock a divx movie or mp3.

20. AhmedFaisal Guest

You are missing the point...

That is actually not the issue. I recently heard on TV that the RIAA-Equivalent in the book industry is currently debating to lower the author precentage of the revenue for each sold book from 11% to 6% (this is Germany mind you) so for every buck I spend on a book only 6% go to the author the rest is to supply the industry goons with fresh cocaine... are you wondering why people are saying screw that? The numbers in the music industry are similar. Sorry, but no, if there is a way to supply the "artist" with money, any time. But just to supply the music industry goons with money, no ****ing way! As for the film industry, I have to say, if its a good movie and you like it, you should buy it, there is one exception I make though. Foreign films (Japanese anime for example). As long as **** gets edited and hacked, the story distorted by bad quality dubs and bad translation subtitles I will keep downloading fansubs. I am not spending money for hackjobs, sorry, nope.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

21. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I was speaking against the industries, not the creative talent. the talent sees little of the profit. corporations do not belong in creative mediums.

22. janey macrumors 603

janey

you know i sorta agree to both your statement above and the one before that...in the United States they're showing these 30sec ad-type things before the movie where some guy who works on a movie talks to you about how bad it is to download movies and tells you to go to http://www.respectcopyrights.org.
    What *really* pisses me off and makes me want to download movies is that my money is paying for the studios to maintain a website where all they're trying to do is to scare people into not downloading movies off the internet. Not just that, they're looking into ways to prevent people from copying DVDs, and they're not even doing a good job. What next...? All DVDs will disintegrate after 3 days (i know it exists)?
    This isnt just for movies too, the RIAA is doing a ton of damage to their already-beyond-damaged reputation by suing their own customers for stealing music.

I try not to steal, but both the movie and music industries are annoying me to the point where i'd rather steal, screw the lawsuits, screw copyright law.

23. Riot_Mac macrumors regular

Quicktime can play any file i throw at it usually... w/ some exceptions. You just need to get the codecs... i have about 15-20 in my quicktime library.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

As a number of people have mentioned, mplayer and VLC can handle pretty much nything you throw at them...quicktime has traditionally had problems dealing w/ vbr audio, but is pretty good now w/ latest codecs. Of note, there is also the djoplayer, which is developed off mplayer...has a post-processing feature to smooth out pixelation...nice to finally have options...