playing divx files located on external hard drive connected to apple tv via usb

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jl9148, Nov 20, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2008
    is it possible?

i know its possible to play divx from apple tv's internal storage using hacks.... but basically, i want to transfer all of my divx movies from my macbookpro to my external hard drive, and then connect my external hard drive to the apple tv, and then play divx movies from my external hard drive via apple tv.

also, i plan on getting the 40gb version and using apple tv's 40gb storage solely for mp3s, and then putting divx movies on the external hard drive.

thanks in advance
  2. macrumors member

May 21, 2005
    yes you can

real simply, just install the boxee patch (patch it using a usb stick). Just look around here if you have question.

Once boxee is installed, you have ssh installed, so install nitotv.

Then plug in your usb hdd, turn on, and simply browse the files/movies. The hdd needs to be formatted in

**the hdd needs to be formatted in the mac extended journal format not ntfs** at least that was the case with me.
  3. macrumors member

Nov 19, 2008
    Hi, this answers my question as well.
    But can you tell me if I can join an external source into Boxee or does it have to be nitotv? :confused:
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    bump. wondering the same thing.
  5. macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2007
    you need neither of them, could also use ATVFiles to play them. Installation is not necessary related to nitoTV
  6. macrumors member

Nov 19, 2008
    That's pretty cryptic, could you explain please?:eek:
  7. macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2007
    You can istall the USB enablement through nitotv, however you have to download a whole bunch of files and install nitoTV just to install the USB patch.
    Once the USB patch is installed, you can play your files either with ATVFiles or nitoTV.
  8. macrumors member

May 21, 2005
    Yes you can

Once you install the boxee patch stick, about as simple as it gets..even a caveman can do it!

Once boxee is installed, that allows you to ssh into the system. Then:

Boxee will see your external hdd, I think you might have to set it up but it's real simple, under setting or something. I did it a few weeks back and can't remember, it's a graphical interface so no termial work required.
  9. macrumors member

Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks Tom and Staka,
    I'll give it go on the weekend. The Boxee install with a patchstick i did already so the rest should be easy... I hope! :)