Playing DVD Movies on an ibook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GetGo, Dec 2, 2004.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2004
    New Jersey
    I have a home DVD recorder that burns in +R format. I burned a couple of movies to DVD and then tried to play them in my iBook. It would not play and apple says the unit will only play -R format. So I burned another movie just to play on my home unit. This time I was out of DVD -R DVD's. So I used a DVD +RW DVD. When I finished burning it I said let me try it again and guess what it plays fine. I called apple and told them, they said well it might play but we can't guarantee that format will play but it might. What are you guys finding with the different formats playing in an iBook.
  2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Most people use DVD-R whether its PCs or Macs. I can't really say its a standard, because it isn't, but that is what most people use. Most regular burners will write to both formats. If so, then I'd start using DVD-R to be more compatible with everything else.
  3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    Does the first one you speak of play in another dvd player. I know dvd's often are not burned correctly and won't play well or at all in any dvd r's are usually to blame. I have had to throw out many cheap dvd r's due to not burning well or at all.
  4. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    I don't know about movies burned on DVD+Rs, but I do know that data discs burned on DVD+Rs do work on my Mac. I have an iBook 500mhz with the Combo Drive.
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    If DVD+R disks work on your Mac, more power to you. However, I cannot emphasize enough the fact that Apple does not support DVD+R. The fact that a DVD+R works on your Mac does not guarrantee that it will work on someone else's Mac.