playing dvds through QT PRO

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bordenkecher, May 11, 2006.

1. bordenkecher macrumors member

i dont know if im missing something or what, but how the flip do i play a dvd through quicktime 7 pro? whenever i try to open a dvd it it'll only let me select the IFO's or maybe its the VOB's, i cant remeber. i just want to play a freaken dvd through QT Pro and apple website doent seem to help me at all.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

is there a reason why you can't play them with dvd player or vlc? both of them can deal with video_ts folders.

3. bordenkecher thread starter macrumors member

no, i can use them.... i would just like to use QT b/c it seems to have a few more play options than DVD Player, like the video time status bar and other things.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

well dvd player is more suited towards playing DVDs than quicktime (if you're looking for a particular time to skip to, dvd player can do it..)...and the time bar is in VLC.

5. bordenkecher thread starter macrumors member

right, i guess what im trying to get at is that they(apple) advertise QTPro as being able to play DVDs and the screen shot that they have for it looks very appealing and so i just want to know how to play a dvd through QT. i sure as heck cant figure it out.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Where did you see this?

7. Macophile macrumors member

What about this? The MPEG-2 Playback Component for QuickTime

Although, there is a caveat:

Can the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component play back DVDs?

The MPEG-2 Playback Component can play back MPEG-2 files on non-encrypted DVDs. Professionally produced, commercial DVDs (such as Hollywood movies) are usually encrypted with special anti-piracy software, called Content Scramble System (CSS). In order to view these DVDs, decryption software is required and is included in DVD players. But decryption software is not included in QuickTime or the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component.​

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

QuickTime Pro has never been advertised as a DVD player--whether the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is installed or not. You are totally misconstruing QuickTime, QuickTime Pro, DVD Player, and the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component.

QuickTime is not an application. It is the set of multimedia APIs in MacOS/MacOS X. The QuickTime Player is an application which is based on these APIs.

QuickTime Pro is the fee-based version of the QuickTime Player. Registration enables its multimedia editing and format conversion functions. Its ability to play video fullscreen is a bonus, not its primary purpose.

DVD Player is not separate and apart from QuickTime. Like the QuickTime Player, it is a QuickTime-based application, which is dedicated to playing standard finalized DVDs.

The QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component's primary function is to play MPEG-2 files which are stored as data. It makes precious little sense for this $30 codec to play DVDs in the QuickTime Player because the DVD Player does this free of charge.