Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I have the 13" 1.86GHz model with 4GB RAM. When playing flash videos, it gets very noisy.

This is the only thing stopping me from getting the 11" and returning the 13". Will the 11" 1.4GHz be even noisier than the 13" or just the same? Will it be able to handle flash videos?

Bluemeanie1976

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
I haven't noticed any noise coming from mine, and that is with using imovie, iweb, and watching flash videos, and streaming on home sharing. Check your activity monitor to see what else could be utilising your processor.

crisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Really? I've read on several other posts that the fans come on a few mins after a flash video starts, which is what mine does. Which one do you have?

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
Mine is running great, very silent, rarely hear the fan kick in, and when it does it runs very silent.
Anyway, here is a post of mine from another similar topic, maybe it helps out a bit? Still have to say that mine wasn't noisy even when playing movies with flash, before I installed the extension 'Youtube5':

Download and try the 64-bit VLC, but even better: try MplayerX it runs great HD content, better than VLC and it's also 64-bit and looks more integrated with Mac OS X SL:
MplayerX Download-page
For Youtube try this Safari Extension, I think it's genius and makes my new 2010 13" MBA 1,86GHz 2GB run 1080p trailers flawless (+ no more commercials):
Safari Youtube5 Extension

On every Mac I own I use MenuMeters, and it monitors system recourses, like CPU, RAM etc... and on every website were is flash I always notice the CPU getting very busy.
So, also advisable is to use the AdBlock extension for Safari, for less unnecessary flash system drainage, it helps big time!:
Safari AdBlock

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I have the 13" 1.86GHz model with 4GB RAM. When playing flash videos, it gets very noisy.

This is the only thing stopping me from getting the 11" and returning the 13". Will the 11" 1.4GHz be even noisier than the 13" or just the same? Will it be able to handle flash videos?

As long as you download flash 10.1 that uses GPU acceleration. You won't have a problem.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I have run iChat video chat on both my 11" and 13", and after about 15 minutes of video chat, the fan kicks in on full blast and it gets very noisy, on both machines this happens. Video chat also eats away at the battery very very quickly.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I have run iChat video chat on both my 11" and 13", and after about 15 minutes of video chat, the fan kicks in on full blast and it gets very noisy, on both machines this happens. Video chat also eats away at the battery very very quickly.

This evening I've been videochatting with my dad for an hour. We use Skype for this. No fan kicked in, if it did then unnoticeable quiet, and stayed very quiet and cool.

Schorsch0815

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
I just returned my 13" MBA. I really loved it but I use Skype alot. With Skype the fan went up to 4500 rm, sometimes up to 6500 rm. The noise was beyond comfort level.

I still couldn't figure out whether I got a bad model or whether this is MBA endemic.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I just returned my 13" MBA. I really loved it but I use Skype alot. With Skype the fan went up to 4500 rm, sometimes up to 6500 rm. The noise was beyond comfort level.

I still couldn't figure out whether I got a bad model or whether this is MBA endemic.

Must have been a bad model. Mine is amazingly quiet, never had a Mac so silent before, and I have had a lot! I use the new one for Full HD video (I connect it to my 42" full HD TV), à lot of Skype (got many friends all over the world) and more stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.