Playing game without needing the CD

Discussion in 'Games' started by timmyb, Sep 18, 2005.

1. timmyb macrumors 6502

I would like to be able to play games (which I own) without needing to have the CD with me all the time. First of all, is this possible and if so how can it be done? Also will it affect battery life or performance in any way? Thanks for any help possible.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

make an image, it's best if you use toast then the images mount faster. and battery life will go up as the games loads from the HD anyway so the cd spinning is just to verify you have the game disk.

3. timmyb thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry but i'm a complete Mac newbie - what is an image? I don't own Toast (do you have to buy it) swo what can I use instead. Are there any tutorials people could point me towards?

4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Use Disk Utility to make a CD image. Apparently Toast images work better with some games, but generally Disk Utility does OK. Click on the disc name, select New Image From... in the menu, and the rest should be easy enough to figure out. If you make the image read/write instead of the default read-only, then it will mount faster.

--Eric

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

i just have to say i am very proud of the fact that no one decided to flame you for trying to do something that could be seen as a violation of an EULA contract.

We're so nice.
    :D

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Fair use laws trump EULAs anyday, and besides, I don't remember ever seeing a EULA that says you can't use a disc image.

--Eric

7. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Seriously. x_x

I play Starcraft Brood War using a image on my HD, so I can protect the CD and not have to bother with it either. It works great on my laptop too, as it keeps the battery times down since my combo drive sucks up a hell of a lot of juice. x_x