Playing games eats up battery laptop life

Discussion in 'Games' started by princealfie, Feb 18, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I used vmware to play games using Windows 2000 and I found out that using even a simple 3d emulator like a Playstation one caused the macbook to run down its battery fairly quickly around 1.5 hours instead of the 4 hours that I normally get. Is this typical?

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Emulators (which I've been told on these forums that aren't exactly legal :p) are CPU intensive, so they'll eat up your battery quick. Try doing something very CPU-intensive with your macbook and see if you get the same results. Ripping a DVD you own with handbrake may work to check

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I sometimes use my laptops to play movies. Mac's last about 2:15. My Dell about 1:40. This seems pretty standard. (these are all 17")

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

3D Games use the CPU and the videocard which drain energy like ****, additionally there are a couple of side effects, , fans need to rev up and use more power, memory is used up as well so the HDD virtual memory may be hit more often, games require loading and decompressing of textures, that means the HDD will be spinning more often... another side effect, if you are playing a game, you'll most likely turn up the brightness and sound which will drain your battery faster...

There are not many applications that strain your computer like 3D games...

5. applekid macrumors 68020

CPU, GPU, and if you're using a disc, optical drive intensive work means yes your battery will drain.

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Reminds me of the joys of video editing or playing Halo on my PowerBook in battery mode.
    I'm actually surprised at how much longer a batter can last with optimisation. Turning down the screen or simply keeping it cold have really added time to my battery.

8. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

Turning down the screen helps alot, or if you're on a PB or MBP turn off the keylighting if its on

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Emulators are legal, downloading roms are not.

Playstation emulators are more legal since you can easily rip the rom yourself by popping the disk in the drive :)