Playing games in VPC??

Discussion in 'Games' started by ITR 81, Nov 22, 2003.

1. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    I'm looking to play windows games in VPC

I'm planning on the following setup:

New dual 3GHz G5 when it comes out next yr.
    Approx. 4GB of ram
    ATi 9800Pro 128DDR or 256DDR if it's out.
    New version of VPC for next yr with W2K.

Will this be enough to run VPC fast enough? or do I need another GB of ram?

I don't want to buy two machines if I can do them all on one machine.
  2. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    It's a bit early to say, since both the 3GHz G5 and G5-compatible VPC don't exist yet. It'll really come down to how optimized this future, as-yet-unannounced VPC may be. I wouldn't hold my breath for this to come out of Microsoft any time soon.
  3. Flickta macrumors 6502

Nov 20, 2002
    Born in USSR
    If there will be no vid-card support (VPC-talking straight to Mac hardware, no emu), even a 5 Ghz G5 won't help.
  4. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    You need to remember that MS is now in control of both codebases (Windows and VPC). And while I'm not much of a programmer (I know Visual Basic!), I don't think it would be too difficult to compile some parts of XP to run natively on the PPC. Of course, the 3rd-party software would still need to be emulated, but if you move the majority of the OS calls over to PPC then it should run significantly faster.

The other big performance boost would come from 3D support. A PPC version of DirectX, coupled with direct hardware access, should make games run a lot faster.

On the other hand, a flawless VPC will be the death of the Mac. If you can run Windows software well enough on the Mac, then nobody will develop Mac software :(