Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I have converted my entire library to M4V with the ATV3 preset in Handbrake. I have a TV where I get no wifi and have o computer. Does anyone have a good idea for playing these movies off an external hdd? I was thinking maybe a WD Live Player or a BD Player that supports external HDD's? I want to make sure it will play the files in the current format, and I'd like it to be fairly inexpensive.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
why would you convert to the apple 3 preset if you're going to end up getting a player capable of playing various formats?

I have an ATV3, and I've added the movies to itunes, but I have another TV that I'd like to watch them on every once in a while.

Exit34

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
I have an ATV3, and I've added the movies to itunes, but I have another TV that I'd like to watch them on every once in a while.

Not sure what type of answer you are looking for, considering the ATV3 is competitive with the least expensive media players on the market. So why not pick up another one and keep it simple?

But yes, the WD will play m4v or ruku.. if looking for alternatives.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
My bad, I read no wifi as no internet. I use atv 1's so network is not necessary as there is local storage. Sorry.

That's ok, I didn't even think of looking for a atv1, not a bad option. I didn't see any Roku that you can plug in an ext hdd, the ones I saw just stream from PCM or web, but maybe I missed one? Thanks

Exit34

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
That's ok, I didn't even think of looking for a atv1, not a bad option. I didn't see any Roku that you can plug in an ext hdd, the ones I saw just stream from PCM or web, but maybe I missed one? Thanks

off memory, i believe the roku 2 xs has a usb port. handles m4v h264 flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.