playing movies problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jigglyjon, Nov 11, 2003.

1. jigglyjon macrumors member

I am having problems playing movies on my iBook. Is there any video codec packs and audio codec packs that anyone recomends. I just downloaded divx but that wasnt enough.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: playing movies problems

You know it would nice if you told us which video formats are giving you trouble. Just a thought.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

In general, I highly recommend installing both the latest version of the 3ivx codec and the DivX codec; with the DivX codec handling soundtracks and the 3ivx codec doing video (all of which happens automatically), most modern avi movie files will play just fine.

Get yourself a copy of VLC as well; anything that Quicktime with the two above codecs can't handle, VLC almost certainly will.

4. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

go to www.ati.com and get the latest driver for your chip, tell us what format you are trying to watch, and then we may be able to help.

5. jigglyjon thread starter macrumors member

I was able to fix the problem with the 3ivx. Thanks for the help. I guess the avi file was encoded in xvid so thats why i couldnt play it. Thanks for the help :)

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yep, the DivX plugin won't handle XviD, but 3ivx will. I rather like XviD, too--I've been using it for some cross-platform encodes, since it looks much better than DivX and is open source.