Playing Mp3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LoWiTUsA, Sep 29, 2004.

1. LoWiTUsA macrumors member

LoWiTUsA

What can I use to play Mp3 as I was used with winamp ???
    Macamp is for Mac Os 9....
    I am not sure about iTunes look to much internet access to me

Thanks

:confused:

2. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

3. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

I assume you are using Mac Os 9, so the music store won't work in your version of iTunes (correct me if I'm wrong), and once you download it, there is no need to be constantly accessing the internet. It is only 3.5 megabytes, so unless you have 28.8 dial up, it would be a moderately fast download.

iTunes for Classic

If you are using Jaguar or Panther, iTunes is installed, so there is no internet access required, unless you are accessing the music store.

4. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

i hear Audion 3 is ok ( www.panic.com )
    From what i understand, you want something that is more like Winamp?

5. LoWiTUsA thread starter macrumors member

LoWiTUsA

I am using Mac OsX, and I am looking for a player like winamp simple with a playlist option

:confused:

And free of course

6. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Then how about ... oh, say, iTunes, seeing how it's already on your computer?

I don't understand what you mean about "too much internet." Unless you go to the music store in iTunes, you don't need to access the internet at all.

7. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Not to blow my own trumpet, but that's exactly what I said above. :)

8. LoWiTUsA thread starter macrumors member

LoWiTUsA

Itunes is annoying, the playlist is out. I am looking for something very simple such as macamp with a real playlist. But Macamp Lite X isnt free, so sad ...

:(

9. brap macrumors 68000

Whamb player is cool for that kind of thing, tis on Versiontracker, and is free. It took me a long while to come to terms with iTunes, too.

10. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Could you not just simplify the playlist you have in iTunes, by removing colums such as 'year' l'last played' , 'genre' etc? That way you could just limit the columns to Artist and Song, like in Winamp. Or, you could make it even simpler and click the green zoom button, to get a 3 button player :)

11. coconn06 macrumors regular

How much simpler than iTunes can you get? What do you mean by "the playilst is out" and "a real playlist"? If you can't adequately define your needs, than we can't help you.

12. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Umm.. iTunes is the simplest and best when it comes to playlists. Store as many playlists as you want- I don't get the prblem. I can tell you iTunes is what you want- perhaps you just need to play arounds with it a little bit to figure out how to fully utilize it.

13. live4ever macrumors 6502a

14. LoWiTUsA thread starter macrumors member

LoWiTUsA

What about a playlist that does not order in a chaotic album / artist name that does work sometime, but only put the file in order I enter my album and does not miss because the tag is different for every album coming from different sources... I guess winamp ex - user understand me ....

:)

But thanks really for the few player proposed I gonna try that quickly !

For example to illustrate my writting :I open in iTunes my Kid Loco album (best ever) - Another Late night, that contain a few mix, what I obtain is just a new album for each damned track in alphabetic order of artist name... quiet cool no more track in order of appearing so no more transition between tracks .... :(

15. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Like I said, if you play with iTunes for a bit, you will figure these things out.

If your CD is a compilation, you can choose 'get info' and click the button to get iTunes to acknowledge it as a compilation instead of just a bunch of different songs by different artists.

Just as easy though If you don't know- iTunes allows you to make your own playlists of any songs in any order. Choose 'File>New Playlist' and it will put a new playlist in the left-hand column. You can drag any songs into this playlist in any order you want and rearrange them as you please.

I really think you will be happy with iTunes if you take the time to get used to it. Good Luck!

16. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

you mean the tracks don't play in the order they do on the CD?

17. brap macrumors 68000

Actually, that annoys me too, and always has. Is there a workaround, short of numbering filenames (which I ain't going to do on my 12k tracks)?

18. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

yeah - it would be cool if a program sorted that for ya. like the way Fetch Art gets the artwork, there could be a Get the right Order!

19. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

very simple - click where it says "album" at the top of the album column :)

20. brap macrumors 68000

I do that, but on occasion even when the ID3 tags contain track numbers it puts the album tracks all together - in alphabetical order. Go figure.

21. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

In the get info area there are boxes specifically for this. 'Track Number'. it says "track X of X". You can order an album there. Usually if you rip it yourself it knows this already- I've seen people getting albums elsewhere ;) where the track numbers didn't come in. If they are numbered, sorting by album puts them in the right order.

22. LoWiTUsA thread starter macrumors member

LoWiTUsA

Thx brap, Whamb is quite cool.
    And I've deleted iTunes, I was quite tired of ordering the track of each album of my collection of gigas of mp3...
    Anyway

:) Have Fun :)