Playing PC games on a iMac using Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wanderer707, Oct 10, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 20, 2007
    Well I am planning to switch from a PC to an iMac soon! So I heard you can run Windows on an iMac using Boot Camp. I'm sort've a PC gamer and I'm wondering if I can just use Boot Camp to install and play my games on it. Also can I use other Windows Only programs on Boot Camp? If I can do all this, then I am switching for sure!
  2. macrumors 68000

Oct 31, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yes, anything you do can in Windows on a PC you can do on Windows in Boot Camp.

It's literally a PC machine with Windows if you use Boot Camp; there is no difference between an iMac or a Dell, or anything other PC computer.
  3. Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    It's a Windows box that just happens to have an Apple Logo.

CoH: Opposing Fronts, LOTRO, and World in Conflict all play and look fine on my MacBook Pro.
  4. macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    In bootcamp the iMac is just another PC. I've played Company of Heroes in bootcamp on my MacBook Pro and it runs much better than my regular PC (though that is 3 years old now). I just don't use bootcamp anymore because I'd rather not have to reboot all the time just to play a game.
  5. macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    A game on bootcamp will be much better and faster then in OS X. I play WoW on my mac and i find it slower, graphics are worse and the over all feel to be bad. While using bootcamp it feel just like a normal PC.
  6. macrumors newbie

Mar 8, 2007
    It seems everyone has mis-read the op's post. You still need a legal copy of Windows to use Bootcamp. It doesn't allow the user to run programs directly.
  7. Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Funny, I'd say the same about you.. :)

The OP asked if he could use BootCamp to install and run games. Yes.
    The OP asked if he could install other "Windows Only" programs on BootCamp'd Mac. Again, yes.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Somewhere over the rainbow
  9. macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2007
    I have been doing some research before I go pick up my 24" iMac and this link here is great!! Pretty much rev shows you how to install the newer ATI drivers which made a huge PERFORMANCE BOOST check it out ASAP if you can pm or post back your results
  10. macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2008
    imac 3,06 24" geforce 8800 gs

hey guys im a little disappointed, just bought this pc im a heavy gamer but sick and tired with windows bought this pc because i thought i could play xtreme games but i dont know whats going on i had a imac before but like 7 years ago im really not sure what i should do can anyone help me .

11. macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2007
    north devon,uk
    i have a little question. will you get abit better performance using vista since it uses both cores instead of one in xp. does xp only use one core?

in a year and a half id like to get a laptop with a dedicated gpu and would like to stay with mac,but if i can get better performance with a pc then id prob get a pc.