Playing PC games on a Mac with Virtual PC??

Discussion in 'Games' started by cygnusgirl, Oct 27, 2004.

1. cygnusgirl macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Hello! I just bought a new ibook g4 and am a recent convert from PC's. I love my mac so much, but my only problem is that i was a pretty regular gamer, and i have hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of games for the PC. I just cannot afford to buy the games all over again for mac! My question is, how good is gameplay using Virtual PC for Mac? I'd be much more willing to pay 150.00 for Virtual PC than having to buy my games all again! Any information or input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Awful, really, don't waste your money on it. It's painful doing anything in VPC, let alone gaming.
  3. woxel1 macrumors member

Aug 25, 2004
    Amen. Lock this topic, brother.
  4. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2004
    The Great White North
    I'm not even sure that VPC supports hardware graphics acceleration. You'd be better off spending $150 on a used PIII box.
  5. Muskie macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2003
    Since this gets asked so much, anyone think we could get it stickied?
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    You'd also think that people would search. Oh wait, people do a simple search and don't find anything, even when the thread they want is in the first ten in the list.

No, do not buy Virtual PC in an effort to play games.
  7. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    no hardware support.

even with hardware support, you'd be lucky to play Quake 3 at 10 fps on a dual 2.5ghz G5 with a 6800 DDL

in other words...forget it. If you still have your PC, then play games on your PC.

Most of your games aren't on Mac, anyway, even if you were going to buy them all over again.

VPC doesn't work on my G5 because I have more than 1.5GB of RAM, apparently. This is VPC 7.0, too, so don't tell me it doesn't work with a G5.

I'm not taking out my ram to play Counter Strike (old school, not the new one) at 2fps.

Not when i can load up CS:Source in my year-and-a-half-old 600-dollar PC and get 40-70 constant FPS at 1024 with 2xFSAA and 48-player server full of other players going.

There is nothing on the Mac side of multiplayer that even remotely compares to this. :) No, UT2K4 doesn't's just not as cool...

I can't wait till DOD:Source is finally done...

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Actually, I really recommend having a sticky called the MacRumors Gaming Forum FAQ and encloses just about every repeat topic in it. Let's see: Blizzard-related info, Game X's performance isn't great or as good as a PC's, how to games get ported, why can't I play with my PC buddies, cracks and pirating, lack of sports games, and a release dates list. With a sticky like that, we might never get any traffic in this forum! :p

I can't blame the newbies completely since vBulletin's search feature is pretty lacking, but, a Sticky would be a nice start to slowing them down.

And, just say no to VPC until Longhorn comes out. Then VPC will require a ton of optimizations to be useable and may require some native graphics support. Yep, if MS wants Longhorn on Macs everywhere, they've got a long way to go with VPC.