playing ripped DVD on D2.5 G5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aussiemac86, Sep 6, 2004.

1. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2004
    the land of OZ
    I have several legally purchased DVD's, which i would like to have on my computer, and be able to play without the disc in the drive when people are borrowing the disc (eg my brother).

I have ripped one of these discs (which i was able to play using dvd player with disc in drive), using toast firstly and then when i had trouble playing that i used mac the ripper. With both rips i can open the VIDEO_TS file with DVD player and it doesnt play the intro but i can see the "play" button on the screen, when i click this it crashes, after changin the DVD player to widescreen format. I tried using VLC, it plays the "warning" screen (which has no audio) fine but as soon as the first "icon" screen (with audio) comes up, i get an error message saying

"coreaudio: failed to set buffer size [nope]"

this is accompained by a faint click through the speakers and i then lose all audio from the computer, if itunes is playing it stops, and even pressing the volume up and down buttons does nothing. If i go to sound control panel it has set the audio output to optical out, after changing back to "built in audio" and quiting iTunes works again, volume buttons dont work till a restart. If i let the DVD play through in VLC all the intro screens come fine and i can click and have the DVD play fine, except there is no audio.

I would really appreciate any help. I'm wondering if this is a G5 or dual 2.5 specific issue.
  2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    You could use DVD Backup for copying the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive.
    MacTheRipper should also do the trick.