playing ripped DVD on D2.5 G5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aussiemac86, Sep 6, 2004.

1. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I have several legally purchased DVD's, which i would like to have on my computer, and be able to play without the disc in the drive when people are borrowing the disc (eg my brother).

I have ripped one of these discs (which i was able to play using dvd player with disc in drive), using toast firstly and then when i had trouble playing that i used mac the ripper. With both rips i can open the VIDEO_TS file with DVD player and it doesnt play the intro but i can see the "play" button on the screen, when i click this it crashes, after changin the DVD player to widescreen format. I tried using VLC, it plays the "warning" screen (which has no audio) fine but as soon as the first "icon" screen (with audio) comes up, i get an error message saying

"coreaudio: failed to set buffer size [nope]"

this is accompained by a faint click through the speakers and i then lose all audio from the computer, if itunes is playing it stops, and even pressing the volume up and down buttons does nothing. If i go to sound control panel it has set the audio output to optical out, after changing back to "built in audio" and quiting iTunes works again, volume buttons dont work till a restart. If i let the DVD play through in VLC all the intro screens come fine and i can click and have the DVD play fine, except there is no audio.

I would really appreciate any help. I'm wondering if this is a G5 or dual 2.5 specific issue.
    Cheers

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You could use DVD Backup for copying the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive.
    MacTheRipper should also do the trick.