Playing samples from BN.com

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dr. Dastardly, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

If anyone knows how to play the samples at Barnes and Noble's website please let me know. All there samples require WMP so I said what the hey and downloaded it, how bad can it be. Well its WMP afterall and is now in the trash after its 400 errors. Is there any program able to play these? I usally go between iTunes and bn.com (iTunes to listen and BN to purchase). And I would really like just to bring it all to one app if possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. einbahnstrasse macrumors newbie

3. Dr. Dastardly thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Tried that and WMP (windows media player) doesn't work. Just says that the file cannot be decoded. And besides I have Microsoft Office on my computer and thats all the MS software I want to put on it for obvious reasons :p . I was just wondering if anyone has been successful in getting the samples at BN.com to work on OSX, and if so how to.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm assuming you're talking about the CD song previews, in which case I just tested and WMP 9.0.0 definitely plays them for me. Are you sure you tried the latest version?

For what it's worth, the latest version of VLC will also play the samples, although it seems to have problems with buffering, so it sort of studders on my system. I don't know if you can send the URL to it as a helper application, but you can at least copy the preview URL and paste it into the "Open URL..." box accessable from the menus. Wait a while, and it should eventually kick in (the previews on BN.com seem pretty slow to respond for some reason).

5. Dr. Dastardly thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I downloaded WMP again and now it works fine. I thought I downloaded WMP 9 but maybe I didn't. Quite possible I didn't because I find Microsoft's site so hard to navigate through.

Well anywho it works now so thanks for the post. :D