Playing small DVD in mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by knl, Mar 22, 2007.

1. knl macrumors newbie

I have the mac osx 10.4.07 and wonder if i can play a small dvd that comes with a camcorder in the side dvd slot, or is it too small? I'm too scared to try and can't find info on it.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Small DVDs should not be used in slot loading drives.

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

you cannot put the small DVD's in a slot-loading drive. i did it once and had a terrible time getting it back out!

EDIT: like bartelby said. :)

4. knl thread starter macrumors newbie

that's what I thought. So I guess they are obsolete now.

5. knl thread starter macrumors newbie

Gosh, ever since we got this computer it's been nothing but looking for ways to make it compatible with things I already have.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah, switching can be a pain. But people buying new Vista computers are experiencing similar problems. I guess it's just the price of progress. And that $4.99 adapter looks like it'll solve this issue at least.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

To be fair, those mini discs are a stupid anachronism in a world where more and more drives are slot-loading. No one should use them for anything, ever.

Ever.

8. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

9. Frohike macrumors regular

Also you can't actually edit anything which gets recorded onto those discs which i see as exceedingly pointless!

10. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

This is true with recent macs, but isn't always true. For example, mini cd's and DVD's work just fine in G3 iMacs and the G4 Cube - both of which use slot loading drives. The real issue is the mechanism used to draw in the disc. Those old macs had drives similar to what is used in the Wii, which is able to accept both full sized and half sized discs.