playing songs bought from iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gudrun45, Apr 14, 2005.

1. gudrun45 macrumors newbie

A friend just e-mailed me and said she read in the N.Y. Times that songs bought from iTunes can only be played on the iPod or iPod Shuffle. She is wondering if this is true. I have no idea. Anybody know?
    Thanks.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they can be played though iTunes, on up to three computers i believe it is, and they can also be burned to discs, or they can be put on any variant of the iPod to be played on the go...

3. shortyman macrumors member

shortyman

I think the tunes can be used on up to five computers
    :)

4. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Songs bought from the iTMS are encoded in AAC format, so they can be played on any MP3 player that supports that format. Other than the iPod I'm not sure what other players support that, but I have seen a few, just can't remember them. You could always burn songs bought from the iTMS to a CD then rip them back into iTunes as MP3's, then they will work on any MP3 player.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not true, because the songs from the iTMS are DRMed tracks that have the fairplay licensing on them, so a player has to be fairplay compatible, which at this point in time is limited to the iPod family as it is

6. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

That sux. I really think iTunes is the easiest, but I love my iRiver that I run with.