Playing the Fear card

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by atszyman, Apr 20, 2006.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

So I'm being my typical liberal hippie self, listening to the Air America affiliate on my commutes. Lately there has been an ad running on there with the line, "There's no good reason not to have a plan in place in case of a terrorist attack."

It's been 4.5 years since 9/11 and yet our precious government is still making sure we are scared of impending terrorist attacks. I thought they were supposed to be making us safer? I should have plans in place for my plane crashing in the ocean before I need to be worried about a terrorist attack.

I can only hope that the general public is starting to realize that our government should not have to tell us to have a plan for terrorist attacks in place, they should be making us secure and placing terrorist attacks on the same list as lightning strikes, things that might happen but are highly unlikely....

This is supposed to be a link to the ad but it is currently brocken link

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Yeahbut.

The government should be making us safer. But, the problem is that the government can only do so much - locking down against terrorists has to be balanced with civil liberties. The government could ensure that you didn't have to worry about terrorists, but what would the cost to society. People have a hard enough time with what the government is doing right now - how much more would/could they tolerate?

That being said, I think there is more that can and should be done. The war on terror is failing because, in my opinion, we are only going halfway. This is not something that law enforcement can solve - either all out war or adaptation to a new way of life are the only legit options.

Since I can't engage in all out war, I have personally chosen to adapt. I don't fear terrorist attacks. If they happen, they happen. I expect brutal retaliation against the offenders, in exchange - but I don't fear them. For me, I should have a plan. I work three blocks from the White House, and I am waiting to hear back from a possible new employer that is one block away - so terror is something I should plan for (at least as to help insure the interests of my wife are protected).

3. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

Guess I didn't quite make the point I was going for. The ad put out makes it seem like a terrorist attack is more of a concern than many other disasters that could hit. Even with September 11 figured in I think my chances of being anywhere close to a terrorist attack are slimmer than getting hit by lightning or a piece of an airplane falling on my house. I don't prepare for those emergencies because my time is better spent elsewhere.

If we are supposed to be that fearful of a terrorist attack, they have not been doing their jobs and in fact have made things much worse.

The ad is a blatant attempt to prey on the fears of voters in an election year and I'm hoping that voters are starting to wake up and realize that if we are supposed to be that scared maybe the people in charge should be changed.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

there's an ad on the metro here in dc that has a similar tone. yes, some awareness on public transportation is good. but you can't walk around with eyes spread and look at every dark skinned person and try to see if they're strapped with explosives...

the fear mongering continues. expect it to ramp up in roughly... 5-6 months.

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Ah. Now I see your point. I have to agree about that.

Although like jelloshotsrule points out, there are all sorts of ads on the Metro. The funny thing is that there was an article in the Post on Monday about a package that was reported to Metro police and person was blown off. A point the event brought up was that people assume the worst about what used to just go to lost and found (it turned out the briefcase was just a briefcase :)), but Metro should be sorting out the safe from the unsafe. I guess this reporting craze sort of helps Metro get lost luggage off the train quickly and away from the really paranoid people....

Point of the above rambling is that I don't think it is an election year thing. I've seen them too often in the past. Part of me wonders if it is an attempt to numb the people. If you hear it enough, you stop paying attention. Sort of like the coffee cup I have in front of me. It says "Caution: Contents Hot" (even though it has nice ice cold water in it). When they first came out, I saw them everywhere. Now, I assume they are still there - but I don't see them.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the democrats certainly want us to be scared too. it's just a matter of the fact that they can never offer a solution. that's how you manage to lose to someone like george bush.

it's ok though, i've got 583 rolls of duct tape, just in case....

7. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

I don't know about that. I seem to notice a strong correlation between elections and the terror alert level.

I'm willing to bet it goes up in October of this year....

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Our involvement in Iraq and the middle east has now created an entire new generation of potential terrorists.

This administration has managed to create an eternal enemy to justify decades of military industrial funding instead of treating a small group of crazy radicals as international criminals.

9. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Having an ample supply of duct tape around is just good practice in any country! That stuff fixes everything

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, the ads are pointless.

The type of people who are responsible for their own selves already have a plan for a disaster, be it natural or terrorist in nature.

The type of people that need to hear this type of message ... won't. :)

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The reason it's still an issue is because our soft-headed leaders are still fighting 20th century wars.

Rummy was defense secretary in what, the 70's? He was raised in the 50's with the idea of a monolithic enemy at parity with us. His philosophy of war-fighting, while new in the "rapid-response, nimble force" sense, is still old in that he thinks a giant military intervention is the best way to fight an enemy.

He's stuck in an old mode of thinking, despite all the administration talk of "a new kind of war". In the old mode of thinking, you sent your giant army to whoop the enemy, you propagandize at home, and you spend literally tons of money (measured in Franklins) on spiffy toys with which to smite your enemy. It's the only way he knows to play the game.

The neocons have never liked the idea of International Law, or the fact that it's the most effective way (measured in actual terrorist captures and convictions - not innocents held without charge and tortured) to fight terrorism. Rummy and Bush wanted a "final solution" to Middle East instability and got the opposite- an unending war with religious overtones, thus guaranteeing no surrender from either side.

And I'll part with this quote:

"What this coutry needs is a short, victorious war to stem the tide of revolution." - V.K. Plehve, Russian Minister of the Interior to General A.N. Kuropatkin, Minister of War, 1903, on the eve of the Russo-Japanese War

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A good place to start would be to implement the full recommendations of the 9/11 commission. I believe that is one thing Democrats have promised to do if they gain control of any part of Congress.

13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

"there is nothing to fear but fear itself"

a good president would have quoted those exact words

our's said "we'll smoke them out of their holes"

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Fear works. I don't like it, but it's about time they did something to fight back. Pointing out the fact that the thing that got the neocons elected is what they're failing at is just good politics.