Playing Video Games Is Good For You!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, May 28, 2003.

1. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Where did I see this story......maybe it was Countdown. Actually, it was probably CNN, because the link goes to cnn.com. Anyway. Countdown is a really cool show, it counts down the top 5 news stories. It is on MSNBC @ 8 ET. :)

3. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

hmmm...now i can tell my parents its good for me

4. macrumors G4

Oh snap, my mind must be flat...[​IMG]

<---not a gamer

5. macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Re: Playing Video Games Is Good For You!

Dang, D, and here I had this picture of you as being part of the socially well-adjusted crowd and you spring this little tidbit. :D

Well, I guess now at least I feel that all those hours playing Crazy Taxi, or even Wizardry as a kid, must have done some good. Okay, maybe not Wizardry... (By the way, the badguy's name is: Andrew spelled backwards... hehehehe! )

6. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

I love it, especially because I must have spent 100 hours + playing Medal of Honor in my life. I can pick off those Nazis like flies.;)

7. macrumors 68040

mac15

Masterbation now Games, I love scientists! :)

8. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes, this study is sweet.

All they need is a study that having really little sleep is acually good for you. :)

9. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It's nice that someone finally made it "official" by doing it a study and putting it into text... But surely this doesn't surprise anyone, does it? The question is, are there negative side-effects to video games that outweigh the beneficial side-effects?

10. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, if you can personally work at moderating the amount of time you play, you can offset the negative side-effects.

Everything in moderation you know :D

D

11. macrumors 68040

tazo

including moderation :)

12. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

don't even get me started on that ;)

Also for you teenagers - I remember going to a hobby store in my home town that had the first Space Invaders video game - there were no arcades then - and this was the first game to ever come out that pretty much started the whole craze.

I guess that was late 70s, when I was in Junior high....;)

I've been playing for a while. :D

D

13. macrumors 65816

ejb190

I used to spend a lot of lunch money on Battlezone and Defender....

Now I prefer games of a more useful nature. You know, the ones that help me practice for world domination!

14. macrumors 6502

does anyone remember that onion article?

"Video Games develop good 'looking' skills"

included was a picture of some apathetic kid sitting in front of a tv...

brilliant sarcasm :)

whoops, i just looked it up. I was worng, it was actually about tv.

"Report:TV Helps Build Valuable Looking Skills"...guess that would make more sense...

here are some excerpts:

"NEW YORK—A report released Monday by NYU's Center For Media Studies has found that television, accused by experts of diminishing children's attention spans and discouraging them from interacting with others, can actually help children as young as six months develop essential looking skills."

photo caption "Above: Children sharpen their looking skills with a 27-inch Sony Trinitron."

"Extensive testing of adults who grew up in homes without television showed that such adults had difficulty staring blankly at things for longer than a few seconds," Center For Media Studies director Dr. Edward DeGaetano said. "They frequently shifted their gaze and focus around the testing environment, often engaging others in the room in conversation and generally making a lot of disruptive noise and movement. Television-enriched adults, however, could sit and look at anything: a spot on the ceiling, a fire-alarm box, a stack of magazines on a table."

sorry to be off-topic everyone :)

its still pretty funny....

15. macrumors regular

visual skill in action

Fantastic post!

Now I like to see how these gamers apply their visual skill talent to a sporting game such as basketball. I like to see them dribble a basketball in a fast break down court and be able to see their oppenent as well as their teammates and predict their movements. Oh I forgot, these gamers are totally out of shape. The advantage is mute, equalize, gone, none not significant....

16. macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Dang, Space Invaders!

Wow, you just dated yourself, D. Wait, so did I! :D

I remember when they had that announcement about this guy going for the World's record for playing Centipede (or was it Missile Command?) and they showed the video game out on the sidewalk and the guy looked like a bit of a hippy after playing a few (I think) days straight. And the news reporter caught him during a break because he had gone so high so many times playing that game that it would have to reset itself and give him a chance to rest.

Wow. I wonder where he is now? Probably the head of MENSA or a fighter pilot or something like that... heh. :D

17. macrumors P6

wdlove

I can remember there being video arcades being available in the 60's! One in particular that I rememer was at an amusement park!

18. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

pac-man is still one of the best.

anyway, i told my mom this a few years before the study was done, and she didn't believe me! now thsat i showed it to her on the news, she doesn't admit to that event happening:rolleyes:

a wonder how parents have such selective memories:p