Playing WarCraftIII Between PC and Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Frozone, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Frozone macrumors 6502

My brother has a PC running Windows XP, 1.2ghz, 256mb ram and I have a Mac. So i'm wondering how I can play WarCraftIII against him. I want the cheapest and easiest solution and playing this game is all we are planning on. And the computer are within 10 feet of each other.

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I have a couple questions. Will it just be the two computers playing against each other or will there be other computers joining the fight too? If it is just the two computers you can use a crossover cable and connect the two directly to each other. Otherwise you may have to connect each computer to battle.net and make a game to play there, on battle.net.

3. Frozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it just the two computers. And where can i get that cable and how much?

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

You can get the cable from any shop that sells computer bits (Mac or PC). Just make sure you get a crossover ethernet cable as the normal kind will not work between two computers Also try to make sure the cable is 'Cat 5'.

In the UK the the cable costs about 40p (about 80cent) per Metre (3 feet/yard), but I expect it will be a bit cheaper than that in the US.

Also make sure the PC has a ethernet network card.

5. dxp4acu macrumors regular

I do this all the time. I take my 12 inch PB over to my friends house. They have a desktop PC and laptop PC and I sit in the living room with a wireless network, we have TONS of fun!!!

Seriously, if you have more than one computer and DON't have a router, there is something wrong with you. It doesn't even have to be wireless. We have a wireless router from Office Depot for only 59 bucks, so a regular one would probably run you 30.

Get one, yo! It rocks.

6. cubist macrumors 68020

Agreed, multiplayer gaming is a BLAST! If you can separate the computers a little more, into separate rooms, you can have teams!

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you have 3 options, all being pretty easy but not neccesary. you can by a crossover cable, wont set you back more than 10 dollars.

you can buy a firewire cable if he has firewire and use ipoverfirewire (xp already has hte built in)

If you ever plan on playing more than one person you need to go buy a hub and however many "patch" cables you need for playing.
    other than that its pretty easy, just give each computer an ip address under the same subnet and you guys should see each other fine.

iJon

8. maraczc macrumors member

Actually it's much more expensive. More like $6 for a 7 foot cable not $1.60 like you say. Maybe you jsut have a really really cheap store though.

9. Frozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay...i just searched http://www.officedepot.com for the cable and it returned tons of stuff and i got really confused. Could someone post a link to which one I would need so that I will know for sure i'm getting the right one.

10. Frozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay...Now i have another question...Can you play the game without the disk. It gets annoying having to insert and take out disk all the time. And is it better to use the disk or not use it.