Playing xbox with my iMac replacing my TV?

Discussion in 'Games' started by smwatson, Dec 22, 2005.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Is there a way to use my iMac as a monitor? ie I can plug my xbox into it and then play my xbox through it?

2. silverback66 macrumors regular

3. abbeyroadey macrumors newbie

abbeyroadey

Oh sorry -- I was going to reply, but the more I thought about what I was going to suggest, I realized it wasn't going to work. I was going to say you should try taking a VGA adapter and hooking an analog input to it, but then the Xbox requires its own input, and you'd also need something to feed into your computer, so nevermind. Sorry :eek:

4. abbeyroadey macrumors newbie

abbeyroadey

Hmmm... I'd be interested to see how it works, but it doesn't really look like you'd be able to game on it... but it might be worth trying. Unless there's an analog adapter for the Xbox?

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope, that EyeTV thing is only a receiver. you can't input through that unfortunately.
    I'm in the process of doing something similar with my Powerbook. getting a 20" LCD monitor in just 3 days time, buying that EyeTV DTT and using it as my TV.

i dont know about the iMacs ports, but if it has an extra monitor output port then I suppose... its not a cheap option at all though... you could use dual monitors AND (with the right monitor) play your Xbox on it too.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Get one of those:

AverMedia TV Box9

It plays everything live. It's essentially a RCA-Composite-Component to VGA converter, with a TV tuner built in. I have one, it works great.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Have you ever actually used it for video games? The problem with things like EyeTV is that theres a 2 second delay so you cant use it for gaming.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yes. There's absolutely no delay. The problem with EyeTV is that it goes through the operating system and everything, and is software-based, so it has to process the images. But with the TV Box9, it goes directly through the VGA port, and the display displays it. Nothing to do with the computer at all. In fact you don't need the computer at all for the TV Box9 to work.

But alas, I re-read the post, and he said iMac. D'oh, you need a VGA input. :(

9. abbeyroadey macrumors newbie

abbeyroadey

iMacs don't have VGA?? Oh man, that sucks. That's why I'm getting a PowerMac :p Maybe if you went to an apple store and asked a Mac Genius they might know of something..?? Just a thought.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Since when can the powermac do VGA input????

Besides, people are having enough trouble getting it to work on any Apple Cinema Display (20,23,30).

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Of course not, the display is integrated :rolleyes:

...until someone hacks the VGA output to act as an input, anyway :p (which is probably impossible)

Do the ACDs have VGA inputs, or are they just DVI?

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Any possibility of using an Xbox with a 30 inch display?

Also I noticed that I didn't have to hook up both ports from the GeForce 6800 GT card for the display to view 2560x1600 pixels. It just had one DVI port. I was under the impression it would have required two DVI ports.

13. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Just DVI