PlayRevBox: The Ultimate Next Gen System

Discussion in 'Games' started by illegalprelude, Mar 29, 2006.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

So in heart of all the exciting debate on why we think one unit is better then the other, I introduce this topic.

If you could create your ultimate gaming system, how would you have it. Lets keep it within the limits of what the next gen units are going to introduce and realistic things that exist right now. Not, the PS9 where you can enter into ur games :D

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Honestly I think the all of this is actually determined by the software. The hardware just needs to not limit the software. A system that is truly great does this the best, I believe. It is then up to the developer to make something truly amazing.

The biggest factor to that is cost at this point and that is a big reason why making the "ultimate" system is hard to do, especially based on speculation... since a lot of technology exists but would be wildly expensive to load into a box and sell for $400.

That said, I would say to have separate processors or cores for every major task:
    - Graphics (including purely graphical physics)
    - Physics (game play effecting physics, such as gravity/etc and collision/hit detection
    - AI
    - Audio
    - General (a multipurpose processor for the main game loop, which would also handle input).

Then you'd want a generous memory pool, preferrably shared so that developers can utilize it for any area they choose. One developer may want to use 75% for visual effects, while another use 75% for AI, etc.

In the end I honestly think both Xbox360 and PS3 do this pretty well. Microsoft's system is a more familiar architecture and I believe likely easier to develop for. Both systems have several processors/cores and the 360 also includes a shared memory pool.

Now to wait for developers to really take advantage of the power that is there...

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Bah! Everyone knows that The Phantom is the best console out there! :D

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

dude, I definitely want a "Phantom Lapboard" though, those things look cool.

5. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

lol but thank god, they spent 30 Million dollars on development and only were able to pump out a keyboard. but atleast its a gaming keyboard :rolleyes: :D

6. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

We should have a thread where everyone lists the things they don't like about their favorite console.

Er, on the other hand, scratch that; some smart ass will just say their's is perfect.

7. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

well i guess by this topic, i meant more on hardware specs cause I do agree, the games make a system so i meant in terms of the specs. Like I want a 10 Teraflop Hard Drive in mine type idea with an expanding keyboard

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Essentially, the specs of the PS3 (but with 1 GB of RAM and a much higher clock speed for the main core, maybe 5 GHz, and water cooling to make it work), a 4x Blu-ray drive (loads faster than modern DVD drives) that also plays HD-DVD, the Revolution's controller, Nintendo's downloadable game library, etc.

Using the super-fast main core, it will emulate the XBox and PS2 directly (no extra bulky hardware needed for compatability), as well as the PS1, Dreamcast, and Sega CD. You can directly put the disks in. And for PS1 (700 MB CD's), Sega CD (also CD's), and Dreamcast (1 GB disks), it loads the entire disk into RAM and eliminates all loading times.

Of course, it has the Revolution's awesome controller, boots Linux, and a Blu-ray drive that also plays HD-DVD and all the multimedia functions of the PS3 and XBox 360.

It can emulate an x86 processor and directly run PowerPC apps, and has built in Windows and Mac OS X drivers for the graphics card (so it'll emulate a maybe 1 or 1.5 GHz Pentium, but with a very powerful graphics card, and on Mac OS X run rather fast).

It also has 802.11g *and* WiMax built in. And a pop-out drawer with cartridge slots for NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis games.

Plus a physics chip. So the main core is for AI and general purpose stuff, the Cell cores will be used for Sound, maybe some AI, and maybe a little graphics, the physics chip will be used for physics, and the GPU for graphics.

And a built in toaster! (okay that's an exagguration)

And it costs $50.

Heh; nothing in my post is unrealistic, it could all happen...it would just cost > $1000 and a lot of people would sue for copyright infringement since it plays everyone's games ;)

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Aww man, the phantom system was sooo great..it had....well it was....wait it never came to light.....oh well at least they got the name right.

Bless

10. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Most graphics are pretty graphical ;)

No, offense, but I'd rather have the specs of the 360 - multiple cores pwns SIMDs :cool:

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The Rev is my ultimate system. with 720p of course, delivered by DVI.

Why?

I'm buying a PC later this year. I hope to spend about £300 ($520) on the graphics card alone. It will be my final PC for the next 5 years, just how I've had mine for 5 years now with nothing more than a £60 graphics card update 2 years ago. It will be creating visuals and more immersion than any gaming console could make. I'll be on FarCry 2 with settings and resolution maxed out, beyond 1080p. DirectX 10 will be my best friend.
    At least 4gb RAM too. More than what I'll need.

Basically I won't need a powerful console to get my graphics kicks.

I also want to play all my old games again, through some kind of digital connection so I get a good pic. No mac/PC emulation please. And the Rev's controller just has me.

I want them separate. I want a loud PC that I can only drown out with 5.1 for the multiplayer madness. I want a quiet console for the bedroom that I can just whip on for a few moments mad play on Wario Ware or whatever.

PS. I asked a bunch of mates what console would they take with them to a desert island. They would have its entire game library too. Anything from the past or anything that has been announced. Response? Revolution. As it has all the old consoles too. but that's way off topic. and a fantasy question of course!

13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Are you serious? Do you honestly think you can do that this year? :D

No offense, but you might take a look at this, as a reality check. ;)

Here's a summary though, neither the GeForce 7800 GTX nor the ATI X1800XT cards are able to hit 60fps in current games like Age of Empires 3 or F.E.A.R. without SLI. These cards are often struggling to get 45fps at 1280x1024 (<1080p), let alone even 1600x1200 (1080p = 1920x1080).

So I just don't see how anyone could actually think they could build a single card system (no SLI) and think they are going to be able to play a next-generation, DX10/Vista game, on max settings at even 1600x1200! Even with 4GB of RAM, a 64bit Dual-Core processor (like the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ [$600] or AMD Athlon 64 FX60 [$1000]),Dual-SLI 7900GTX 512MB cards, and Ageia PPU, I just don't think it'd happen! ;) ...but a PPU may get you at least closer...

So what are your estimated specs? Because I'm hearing a lot of big (and expensive) talk for estimated performance in software that doesn't even have a benchmark yet, let alone a demo... and you want to run it on this years hardware. ;)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

um. you're missing my point. I said I'd be spending that much. I'm not thinking brands or specific cards right now or anything other than cost. all I know is that me and my dad are saving up a little bit so come Q4 2006 we can shell out and buy the best DirectX 10 graphics card for £300, the best CPU for £400, the most Ram for £300. SLI is definitely an open option. If the need arises then I'd happily plop down some more jazz. Infact, unless these DX10 cards are a real huge leap forward then SLI is our only option.
    See we sorta run off a theory, we build a PC that lets us run any current PC game in our monitors fullest resolution with options maxed out. Then we leave it for 5 years. In the end, £3k should cover an alright system.
    ... I didn't mention brands or anything in my original post either *confused*

Case in point. Our current PC (2ghz P4, Geforce 9600Pro, 512mb Ram) can still run Doom 3 in low resolutions and HL2 absolutely maxed out for 40fps.
    So long as I can play the next games maxed out at 30+ fps I'll be jolly happy.

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I think you are missing my point.

To clarify, my point was that the top hardware right now can not handle the current top PC titles at max settings at max resolution (which I consider 1600x1200 @ 32bit). So if you can't do it now, the situation looks even worse by Q4 2006...

Why? Because you're basing your assumptions not only on hardware that doesn't exist, but hardware that is going to be by and large first-generation stuff. The reason I say 1st-gen is because Vista will be new as will DX10; therefor we are looking at first-gen DX10/Vista graphics cards.

Not only that, but Vista has been delayed until Q1 2007, which means you'll be buying hardware for a Vista/DX10 platform that isn't even available yet.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not even a dual Geforce 7800 GTX SLI setup? :D

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Good for you. I'll bring my DS. When we get to the desert island, I'll enjoy playing my DS while you go mad because you can't find an outlet to plug your Revolution or your TV in to. ;)

18. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That all depends on the game, some games perform worse in an SLI setup. But this is price restrictive anyway at a budget of £300.00; Two 7800GTX cards will run £460 ($800), dual SLI of the latest would hit more around £685 ($1200).

The simple reason for this is that many game developers try to develop for the future. So that their engine can be used in games several years after the first is released. So in the case of Crysis (which is not Far Cry 2, btw) the CryENGINE 2 is likely to release its first game (Crysis) Q1 2007 and is designed to be competitive well after that (3-4 years at least) in terms of getting used for future games.

That basically means it's being designed to not run at maximum on the hardware out the time its released (Q1 2007 hardware). And likely targetting min/mid specs at the upper class hardware from the year development began. In other words, if they started the engine in 2004, the top-tier hardware for 2004 is likely the target for min/mid settings.

Now this obviously varies depending on the developer, but knowing CryTek's history I'd say you can't expect to max absolutely everything in their new engine until at least mid 2007/early 2008.

19. iProd macrumors regular

iProd

20. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Lol

21. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

22. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Easy, a handheld GameCube, with WiFi for wireless internet play of multiplayer games. Plus an SD slot for downloading and storing NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBA games from Nintendo's virtual console store.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Go?

24. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Rumor has it the Revolution will be renamed "Nintendo Go", which interestingly is the japanese word for "5", and the rev is Nintendo's 5th home console... but alas, it's all mere rumor and speculation.

25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Yup seen this awhile, even posted it.......i hope they don't use it...the REV. sounds better to me.

Bless