PlayStation 3 Component Cables

Discussion in 'Games' started by p0intblank, Dec 27, 2006.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I'm wondering... what brand component cables does everyone here use for their PS3? I have Call of Duty 3 waiting to be played, but I refuse to play it in 480i. :eek: I want my first true PS3 game experience to be in HD and widescreen. :)

I've seen a few component cables I could buy, but wasn't sure of which ones to get. I saw Sony's were only $19.99 which is cheap, but ebgames.com and gamestop.com both say "coming soon." Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

By the way, send me a friend request on the PlayStation Network: thecreativeone

2. darkwing macrumors 65816

I use HDMI with my ps3, but I had the Sony brand component cable for my PS2. I believe it's the same cable, actually. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) The image looked fantastic and believe it or not a handful of games on PS2 were 1080i or 720p or both! You can't go wrong with Sony. Just stay away from Monster. Never buy anything made by them!

3. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, my TV has DVI (no HDMI) so I'll be using component cables. I'm using them on my 360 and everything is so crystal sharp. I love it! :D I want the same from my PS3, so you're saying the PS2 cables do work? Are the Sony brand PS3 component cables available yet? I can only seem to find 3rd party brands. And I know to stay away from Monster, being overpriced and all.

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah if you already have a PS2 cable lying around, you can use that.

5. darkwing macrumors 65816

I had a tv with DVI, and what you can get is an HDMI-DVI cable from http://www.optimization-world.com

I've ordered from these guys twice, and for hdmi and dvi cables they are the cheapest by far. I have three of their hdmi-hdmi and one hdmi-dvi cable from them that I run out my SXRD tv to hook my MBP up to for some snes9x fun every now and then. Get one of those and you will be VERY happy. Just run the cable it came with as well to get the stereo sound, or optical audio for an even better experience!

Good luck.

6. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm thinking about going for the HDMI -> DVI cable as suggested. There's definitely no degrade in image quality since it's being converted, right? As for audio, I'll definitely be getting an optical cable soon. I also have that on my 360 and games literally blow me away. Play Burnout: Revenge and you'll see/hear what I mean. :D

By the way thanks for the link. I usually use cablesforless.com for cable purchases since they're uber cheap, but their site is down right now. I'll probably order from them if they are still more affordable. Thanks for the help!