PlayStation 3 Controller Support Comes to iOS with New Jailbreak Tweak

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 20, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new jailbreak tweak called Controllers for All allows users to play iPhone and iPad games with the PlayStation 3's Dual Shock 3 controller, via Bluetooth. The tweak supports all games that have native iOS 7 controller support and when used with a Lightning Digital AV Adapter, users can play iOS games, with a wireless controller, on a television.

From our sister-site TouchArcade:
    Controllers for All is a $1.99 download from Cydia's ModMyi repo.

Article Link: PlayStation 3 Controller Support Comes to iOS with New Jailbreak Tweak

2. Guest

Sky Blue

Might actually Jailbreak for this. Screw your crappy $99 controllers.

3. macrumors 68000

Goftrey

No brainer. Jailbreaking RIGHT NOW.

4. macrumors 6502a

springsup

Fantastic. Could be the thing that makes me jailbreak my phone.

I would love for Apple to build in native support for this, similarly to how it just works on the Mac. On the one hand, it would undermine the MFI controller program, but on the other it would provide iOS devices with a readily available, high-quality games controller.

I think enhancing gaming on iOS is better for Apple and it's customers than insisting on proprietary peripherals with expensive MFI licenses.

5. macrumors regular

7 years late :eek:

why not for DS4?

6. macrumors regular

I hate jail breaking because something always goes wrong down the line but damn, temptation is killing me.

7. macrumors 6502

Really cool! Possible to hook up two controllers?

8. macrumors 6502

Rudy69

I would love to have this on my iPad but last time I did Jailbreak (i think it was on iOS4) it ended up causing issues with my certificates and apps wouldn't install from Xcode and I had to reinstall iOS

9. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Apparently they're going to add more controller support soon. I hope they add the Wiimote next. :D

10. macrumors 6502

seamer

If enough of you jailbreak for this, Apple will include it officially. ;)

11. macrumors regular

mdridwan47

PlayStation 4's Dualshock 4 support coming soon :D

12. macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

Simply awesome.

This should be an official update to iOS. "Now you can hook up any Bluetooth controller to your iOS device". Boom! (btw, hooking up a PS4 controller would be even cooler — that controller is just perfect, imho).

13. macrumors regular

mdridwan47

Apple won't do it since they have a huge-ass ego. They will make their own $#***¥ version. Which only works with their product alone, not as well designed and cost 2X more. Because they are :apple:

:mad:

14. macrumors 6502

brinary001

I'm going to Cydia right now for this miracle tweak!

15. macrumors regular

Can't figure out how to install it with Lion on my computer -- that's the max I'm able to update to...2007 black macbook

16. macrumors 6502a

swarmster

I think insisting on buying and carrying around peripherals to get the full, enhanced experience would harm iOS. Apple would sooner adopt a stylus *shudder*

There are other devices that play games with controllers. The iPhone is brilliant in part because it doesn't need one, and the best games on iOS wouldn't be improved in the least by controllers.

17. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

I feel the same way. I can't picture myself setting an iPad or especially an iPhone upright and use a controller to play. I really don't mind touch gaming mainly because when I do play mobile gaming it's usually when I'm not home.

18. macrumors 65816

furi0usbee

I'll tell you what, I'm using the Wii U Pro controller out of the box with OpenEmu via bluetooth. Why would Apple want a new standard? I would think bluetooth controllers of any kind should be able to work if the app itself support it. The Wii U Pro controller is perfect for every game from the original NES to current generation games.

But who cares about controllers for iDevices. I want to be able to play iOS apps on my Apple TV. Then we can have something to talk about, vs a $99 controller to play on my iphone?

19. macrumors 6502

huck500

Breaks Retroarch

If you have Retroarch installed this seems to break it... just FYI. I haven't been able to reinstall, either. Tomb Raider is great with the PS3 controller, though:D:D

20. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Why the wiimote? Don't get me wrong, it's an acceptable controller and I beat Rayman Legends using one, but what's it have on the Dual Shock other than motion sensing (which wouldn't work because Apple's MFi Controller protocol doesn't cover it.)

The Wii U controller on the other hand... I love it. I thought it looked silly but once I started using it, I couldn't imagine Pikmin 3 or Rayman Legends without it. I certainly hope Nintendo revamps their efforts to make solid games that utilize the systems unique capabilities.

21. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

OpenEMU + airplay/apply tv3 + ps3 sixaxis :D

Airparrot is a great app for OSX to airplay if you have an older Mac or Mac Pro. Air parrot is only $9.99 and works pretty good. Openemu supports what looks like 4 controllers so multiplayer with everyone gathered around the big screen in the living room living out our childhood playing old games.

I just wish I could split up the sound between the Mac and whichever TV I'm air playing to via Apple TV. If there is, I just haven't figured it out.

22. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Because I'm cheap and don't want to invest into another controller unless it's the specific iOS 7 ones. :p

I only play SNES, GBA, and Sega Genesis games, so I don't need the fancy stuff.

23. macrumors 68000

do you have to unpair them when you're done using it? what if i want to play ps3, would that affect iPad as well?

24. macrumors 68030

SlCKB0Y

Latency would make this unplayable for me on most games of my liking.

25. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

I'd think touch controls would work well enough for those systems... You don't really need the seperate controller until you start talking about trigger buttons, pressure sensitive buttons, and joysticks. And rumble.