PlayStation 3 enjoys record pre-orders

Discussion in 'Games' started by e²Studios, Feb 12, 2007.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

"Advance orders for Sony's highly anticipated PlayStation 3 console have broken all records, with high street stalwart Woolworths revealing it has been taking one order every 20 seconds during the past week.

The state-of-the-art PlayStation 3 will go head-to-head with Microsoft's Xbox 360 when it hits the shops on March 23 and Woolies, one of the first stores to accept pre-orders, has admitted it has been staggered by the demand.

Gerry Berkley, Woolworths' head of games, said, "It's the hottest gaming system since the PS2 launched in 2000 - demand will outstrip supply."

With a retail price of £425, the 60Gb PlayStation 3 costs £125 more in the UK than in the US, but this has failed to deter those determined to try out Sony's latest dream machine."

Source
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a42660/playstation-3-enjoys-record-pre-orders.html?rss

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

no doubt..has there ever been one not to sale out?

3. Motley macrumors 6502

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

and in 2 months, well maybe a month, they will be sitting on the store shelves collecting dust like in many parts of NA...*sigh* too bad too...

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

The only reason they aren't sold out in NA is the dearth of games. Wait for Motorstorm and Lair to hit.

6. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

And for this very reason is why it will sell better, faster, and stronger as a launch in Europe. Once that huge list of AAA games for the year start up in late Feb/Early March I doubt you will see many PS3's sitting on shelves.

My local gamestop sells through 8-12 a week, essentially everything they get they sell within 48 hours. Not exactly stale.

Ed

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, most of the U.S. did the first two months. But most places died down.

I guess it depends where you live. We hardly get any shipments up here (I think CompUSA has gotten a total of ONE Wii shipment and two PS3 shipments), and nobody is selling. We sold our first PS3 shipment in December immediately, but the second shipment in January has been sitting on the selves. Best Buy has a dozen piled up, GameStop has multiple...

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I wouldnt trust 'Woolworths'. They have become some what of a forgotten entity in UK retail marketplace and have seen thier profits decline year on year for the last decade.

They would say the same things about a new pick & mix counter as they would a PS3, and to be honest the staff in those places probably wouldn't know the difference.

-

But I'm sure it will sell out regardless, and I expect the same ebay crap all over again in Europe. Heck I've already been offered €800 for my ps3 :rolleyes:

People want the 'latest' thing all the time, even if the latest thing isn't neceserrily anything different to whats currently available cheaper.

-

The PS3 will not be tested and its success or failure deemed by its launch.

Give it at least 12 - 18 months and then a clearer picture of how well the machine is doing in the marketplace after the hyperbole has gone, and then its success or failings will become apparent.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was helping my girlfriend hunt for a Wii over the weekend. Turns out my local Gamestation and Game, despite their large adverts in the windows, have no pre-orders yet. No "pre-orders sold out" at my Woolworths either.

For comparisons sake, the Wii pre-orders (despite being told not to take any from Nintendo) were sold out within 48 hours in my town. You really still can't get hold of one. eBay is still the best bet. Shops are getting systems but pre-orders just keep getting placed.
    I didn't follow the 360 but that seemed to be absolutely sold out like the Wii. For months.

We did hear lispy student types mocking the price of the PS3 in GameStation.

10. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

We had 32 pre-orders at the end of the second day. With a £50 deposit thats not bad, really. We're telling people they are deffo gonna get one on launch day if they pre-order. Somehow I don't think thats going to be the case.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I didn't know there were anymore "Woolworth's" - they closed down around Chicago here in the early 1980's.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Still going in the UK. Funny too, theres no Manchester store (shopping capital of UK). They're quite the underdog too. If a game or system is sold out they usually have stock. The name is far from synonymous with gaming.

Interestingly they're selling Wii Points cards for 13.99. Making them 2p cheaper than buying them online and you get that DVD case.

13. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

More positive reports for Sony.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22810

Retailers reporting "overwhelming demand" - Sony

Online retailer Play.com is taking six times more pre-orders than it received for PlayStation 3 than Xbox 360 - and 15 times more than the Nintendo Wii.

That's according to head of games Gian Luzio, who told GamesIndustry.biz that PS3 is "the most pre-ordered console yet" for Play. The retailer is offering a GBP 524.99 bundle which includes first-party titles MotorStorm, Resistance: Fall of Man and Genji.

Play also ran pre-order schemes for the Wii and Xbox 360, but some customers were left disappointed when they failed to receive their consoles on day one.

"We underestimated the demand and we were very disappointed that we could not fulfil all pre-orders due to stock shortages," admitted Luzio.

However, Play has pledged to deliver all pre-ordered PS3 units on launch day, with Luzio stating, "We have taken the necessary steps to ensure that customers will only be able to pre-order the system up until Play's allocation has been reached.

"We will always want more consoles to satisfy customer demand, however, we are satisfied that Sony are doing all they can to fulfil demand," he added.

Luzio went on to say that the inclusion of a Blu-ray player in the PlayStation 3 will have a "massive impact" on the retailer's business.

"Figures from the US show that Blu-ray movie sales are outselling HD-DVD by a factor of 2:1 since the launch of PS3 and we have similar sales expectations.

"In addition to the games and movie growth we expect to see a large increase in the sales of 1080p TVs to make full use of the PS3's superior resolution," he concluded.

It's not just Play which is seeing healthy pre-orders for PS3, according to Sony. A spokesperson told GI.biz, "With an unprecedented day one shipment of 1 million machines into Europe and a software catalogue of over 30 titles available at launch, retailer feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

"Woolworths, Amazon and Play, to name a few, are reporting record breaking pre-orders and an overwhelming demand for PS3."

The PlayStation 3 will launch in Europe on March 23, priced at GBP 425 / EUR 599 for the 60GB model.

14. darkwing macrumors 65816

I wonder if the Wii pre-orders being sold out has anything to do with the fact limited quantities were available then, while the PS3 has seen more shipments. (I'm still being told stores here haven't even received Wiis in weeks. Hrm.)

15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Remember, preorders are hugely people looking to make a quick buck thiking there will be shortages...that being said, the PS3 will see a small surge with Motor Storm and other games this spring, then not again until holiday next fall when the big games start coming out- isn't Gran Tourismo due in the Holiday season? Also, next fall with see an even larger HD TV burst which will affect the PS3. I agree 12-18 months is when you decide how well it is doing when talking about such an expensive item.

I also think Sony will need to either bundle another controller or something with it this fall or drop the price or else they will get killed by 360 and Wii.

16. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Ya, read the reports above.. killed.. :rolleyes:

17. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

amazon still has them to pre-order i just orderd my one

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Gamestation and Argos get 8 systems twice a week. I can't speak for other places. Do we have to go over this again?

This is crazy though. Play.com? I'd love to know if they're counting the huge majority of consumers who pre-ordered but cancelled as they announced they couldn't fill slots. We had a play.com order on our Wii and were told we'd be waiting at least 2 months for a unit, despite us placing an order 1 week after they started taking them.

This isn't going to end well. Unless they somehow plan to send in "15 times" more units than Nintendo did with the Wii. This will be very ugly for Play.com. They've already screwed over Wii customers.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yep Play.com are experiencing more pre-orders for the PS3 than the 360.

That is not surprising in the least, why ?

The PS3 will have been on Pre-Order for nearly 12 months. They 360 was only on pre-order for 2-3 months prior to it's launch. It's not hard to do the math.

As I said earlier in this thread

As for Play guaranteeing pre-orders :D :p :D Now that is funny.

Sony can not guarantee how many units will hit retail and therefore how can Play.com ?

If it's anything lik Jimmi's wii, or my Xbox360 which met an accident in their warehouse I seriously doubt that claim.

And to be honest. All this thread is based on nothing more than marketing spin.

Sony is spinning how much demand there is in order to generate more. Retailers are doing the same thing. More sales - more money. It's in there interest to 'talk up' the demand, it generates more interest and more sales.

It's just common sense.

20. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Pah! Woolworth's was still alive and well in Chicago through the mid-1990s. Having been born in 1984, if I remember them, they must have still been in business. ;)

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And if to prove my statement about marketing spin.

Proof that retailers will do 'anything' to drum up interest.

A big name retailer 'Harvey Normans' had a LCD screen playing some supposed next gen PS3 games in order to drum up pre-orders.

Why the supposed ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Do not believe retailers or companies promotions when they 'talk up' a product. There's always an agenda. To make money regardless of truth or lies.

The same reason stars suddenly have bout's of 'rehab' or crap when they are just about to relase a film / movie / book.

It's not co-incidence people. It's spin.......

22. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

lol, I recall rumors of this being done at E3 as well... publishers showing off their PS3 offerings but the actual demo units were 360s :p

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Where demo 360's were PowerMac G5's

The circle is complete.

24. darkwing macrumors 65816

When I asked at a local gamestop, they said they never get any in.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

In fairness the G5 was the development kit for the 360 at that time. As far as I know the 360 wasnt the development kit for the PS3 :)