Playstation 3 with 20-23-30" HD Cinema Display - HDMi-DVI

Discussion in 'Games' started by pionata, Nov 10, 2006.

1. pionata macrumors 6502

Hi,
    Sorry to rebump this old topic (I couldnt find the old thread), but since the ps3 release is just around the corner...

Just wondering if I am the only one here that plan to plug his PS3 to a 23" cinema display in 1080p or 1080i? Has it been tested? Should any HDMI to DVI wire work? I know the HDCP is not supported by the display, but games are not protected with hdcp... :confused:

Any info on that would be appreciated, but if someone plans on buying one anyway and is willing to test please post the result in this thread. Im just waiting for that info to know if I will buy a ps3 and Im sure many others are also.

Thanks

2. pionata thread starter macrumors 6502

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Sell the ACD and buy a big 30" Dell with HDMP via DVI.

Problem solved.

(Combatcolin straps his hardhat on to deflect the flak)

:p

4. pionata thread starter macrumors 6502

huh no... that would cost me like 1000$ with taxes even if I get 1000$ fo my 23". which I wont.

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Couldn't you use an HDMI to DVI adapter to plug an ACD in? It would limit Bluray movies I think but games should run at full res. You'd be looking at a rather nasty scaled resolution for the 20", native 1080p max on the 23" and 720p double scaled on the 30" I think. For things not to look blurred due to scaling you'd either want to go for the 23" at 1080 or the 30" at 720.
    The Xbox 360 was unable to do this because digital output wasn't available up until now I don't think although I think they've just released an HDMI cable.

Oh yeah, you'd need to switch cables between the PS3 and the mac every time.

6. pionata thread starter macrumors 6502

That what's I was planing to buy on friday hoping it would work. I would just like to be sure becose those Apple monitor are so "fancy". You also have to do the setup for 1080p, so If the initial resolution is not taken by the ACD then your toasted... Unless I can do that HDMI setup with my other monitor through my VGA box and then plug the cinema display in?

Gosh I just hope it works becose after buying the PS3 and resistance Ill be completly broke... cant cash 400$ us on a converter box.

7. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

this is an issue

that i still haven't found a definitive answer for for the 360 either.

Has ANYONE tried using a cinema display with just the VGA out from the 360 and a VGA to DVI adapter? I really am considering getting an extra 23 to go with my 30 to play my 360 on and use as a second monitor, but i would really like to know if the VGA thign works instead of having to buy a 300.00 gefen device.

Same with the PS3. At some point I'll have that one too.

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The ACDs *can* display resolutions other than their native resolution, it just doesn't look very nice usually. My only concern is that for 1080i/p the ACD would try to stretch the input resolution to fill the screen. The 23" ACD has a native resolution of 1920x1200. Hopefully if its given an input of 1920x1080 it will leave black borders at the top and bottom rather than stretch the 1080 height over the 1200 pixels. The same goes for displaying 720p on the 30" ACD. You'd want it to display 720p as four pixels per input pixel, leaving black borders at the top and bottom.
    We won't know until someone tries it though.

9. pionata thread starter macrumors 6502

You can play 3d games like ut2004 in 1920x1080 with the black borders, so it must support that resolution natively... I used to do it when I had a pc.

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

That certainly *is* very good news. There's a good chance it'll work then, unless Sony limit the output resolution for games if they encryption in HDMI isn't used (i.e. if a HDMI->DVI adapter is used).

Technocoy, I'm afraid that the Xbox 360 currently won't work since the Apple Cinema Displays *do not* accept any form of analogue input. Its digital only. :( A VGA to DVI adapter would do nothing. If you're looking for a second display to play a 360 on then I'm afraid it's going to have to be a Dell. :(

Although if I recall correctly, you can get two 24" Dell screens for the price of one 23" ACD if there's a decent deal on at the moment.

11. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

yeah, it's hard

to do though since it won't match my beautiful 30 inch cinema display... DOH!!! I thought the cinemas would accept the DVI-I which was able to accept analogue passthough..

oh well... I might windup with a stupid dell ... ugh... wonder if I can find a testors aluminum paint to match the cinema? lol

thanks for the info.

12. pionata thread starter macrumors 6502

www.gefen.com have some adapters for the 360, but those are expensive too.

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah I'm afraid your options are a Component to VGA adapter connected to a VGA to DVI converter (about $300) for the converter box alone or a 24" Dell monitor for $719 (although you can get it for cheaper if you wait for a better deal).

Think about it this way though. For the cost of a 23" ACD ($999) you could get yourself a 24" Dell screen, a Nintendo Wii and $30 left over to spend on silver spraypaint!! :p

14. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

(Kryten from Red Dwarf)

Ahhhhh.

Smug Mode.

;)

15. pionata thread starter macrumors 6502

Bumping this...

It seems all we need is a video scaler, preferably with hdcp support... The gefen product also does analog to digital conversion which makes it quite big and expensive.

Anyone know of a company that make digital video scalers?

16. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

For the PS3 I don't know if you will need a scalar or not. It all depends on what the ACD does with non native input resolutions. The way I see it is it'll do one of four things:

1) It might stretch the input image over all pixels so as to fill all pixels. I.e. it will scale 720 video up to 1920x1200 and it will scale 1080 video up to 1920x1200 as well.
    2) It might not scale the video at all but display the image at a 1:1 pixel ratio in the centre of the screen. I.e. 720 video will have quite large black borders around it and 1920 video will have small black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. (Since the PS3 doesn't support any kind of 720->1080 scaling, this wouldn't be very desirable).
    3) It might stretch the input image up to fill as much of the screen as possible while keeping the aspect ratio fixed. I.e 720 video will be stretched to a size of 1920x1080 and will have small black borders at the top and bottom and 1080 video will keep the resolution of 1920x1080 and have black borders at the top and bottom. (This is the most desirable outcome)
    4) No video is displayed at all (very very unlikely)

Pionata, you're obviously getting a PS3 whatever so my advice to you would be to get it and try it out. There's no point in spending $$$ on an expensive scaling unit.

17. pionata thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I do hope I get one, but I have none reserved and everyone seems to say their will be a shortage until like febuary-march...

Twice I was lead to beleive it wont work:

1) I've talked to Gefen representatives and they told me the Cinema display will just stay blank becose of the lack of scaler. There is a good chance they are not lying, the HD ACD is difficult for taking signals (cant display windows startup for example).

2) In the PS3 manual they state that you need a hdcp compliant monitor for HD.

But yeah, judging by the fairly low interestet in this thread, I'll probably be one of the first one to try. I just hope I can get a ps3 early next week, I find camping and stuff kinda pathetic.

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Not entirely true... you need an HDCP-compliant connection if your Blu-ray movie has the ICT (Image Constraint Token) turned on. Currently, there are no movies shipping (in either HD-DVD or Blu-ray) with the ICT turned on. The ICT hangs over us all like a Sword of Damocles.

For now, though, component video should suffice for some measure of HD movie playback.

19. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

If you were to do HDMI to DVI, you would have no audio.

As its sent over the HDMI port, and I believe it will only send audio out via one output at a time.

20. djafactor macrumors newbie

Pionata,

I'm in the exact same situation as you. I have a 23" ACD and am picking up my PS3 this afternoon. I'm also in the montreal area (downtown). I'm going to try just a HDMI/DVI cable convertor first, if that doesn't work looks like the only thing that will be Gefen's HD Scaler which is a lot of cash. If you figure out something let me know.

cheers

Amit

21. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

LOL

Must admit im finding all this very funny.

The cheapest and easiet solution to all these problems would be to sell the device which isn't doing what you want it to do, in this case the 23" ACD, and buy a device that will do what you want, being of course the 24" or 30" Dell monitor.

Of course, being true Mac fans they would rather self flagulate themselves and stay true to Apple than take the easier, cheaper and straighforward option of choosing another brand. :eek:

;)

22. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

thing is...

the ACD's are DVI-I which should in theory accept digital and analog signals, right? Seems like you could just run a pass through or one of the gefen devices.

23. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The 30" Dell has the same connectivity as the 30" ACD. I.e. only one DL-DVI-D connector, that's it.

Technocoy, I'm afraid all of the ACDs only have DVI-D connectors, they do *not* accept any form of analogue signal, which is a great shame imo.

24. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I wonder when multiple DVI connecters are going to become more prevalent?

Or, more likely a DVI and a seperate HDMP enable HDMI.

Solve a lot of problems, as if i remember DVI switch box's are very pricey.

As to the PS3 grief, wouldn't simply buying a seperate 32" 720 HD flat panel LCD TV be a better/cheaper choice?

I keep reading that 1080P isn't as amazing as its been hyped, and the improvment over 720 isn't that great.

25. pionata thread starter macrumors 6502

Someone on ps3forums.com is saying it works fine without a hdcp filter.

Is there someone here that has a ps3 and a 23" apple cinema display and is willing to see if that works?