Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JesseJames, Apr 15, 2003.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Is anyone looking forward to the next iteration of the Playstation? Or is the next generation of 64-bit desktop going to fuel-your-rocket? Assuming we get graphics chips that are a good complement to the new CPU horsepower.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Playstation 3

Oh, yeah. I want my PS3 now. Hell I wanted it a year ago. I got my PS2 the day it was released and I'm ready for bigger and badder already.

3. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Just give me games that fully exploit the power of my Xbox!

by the by, MacBandit - where do you get those wonderful avatars?

4. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Who's revelling the thought of a PPC PS3, go on sony you know you want to and hell, throw on Mac OS X while yer at it.... after all, the dreamcast had windows CE.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Sony ships Linux for the PS2. That's close.

Sony just released an updated PS2 in Japan with a more compatible DVD drive and progressive scan output.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110258,00.asp

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

This one is from SpyMac. The last one was from deviantart.com. I just come across them when I'm looking for desktops.

7. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

The updated PS2 is supposed to have DVD-R support. Well I remember playing an iDVD-made DVD-R on a PS2 and the video was fine on that. Perhaps all that is new with this PS2 is the progressive scanning (whatever that is) and the lack of FireWire (as if USB 1.1 will be good enough for the external hard-drive).

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Not to be rude but did you read the article?

They dropped firewire because you can just use the network adaptor instead. The iLink was only going to be used for local network play and sharring data not for external storage. Besides you don't need external storage you can put a large internal drive in it and hook the thing to your computer through a network. Also they said that DVD-R support on the original was not stable reading these. Meaning you have to have a very good DVD-R and it still will not read it 100% of the time.

9. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

FireWire replaced by Ethernet?!

So you are saying that the PS2 has room in it for an internal drive? I thought it was the X-Box that had the internal drive, not PS2. As for connecting a hard drive through the network adaptor, isn't that a bit futile? I mean, FireWire is a proven technology for external hard drives and you are telling me that PS2's will use an ethernet connection for this instead?

By the way, your signature is very funny. Who are you quoting there?

10. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    oh i'm defo waiting for PS3, I generally skip a generation before buying a new console, Dreamcast was my last purchase, 9/9/99 if I remember rightly. woah, that long ago?? maybe I should get the PS2 then....

From what I hear though, the PS3 is going to be the nuts, way way better than PS2 (which to be fair has taken it's time in getting to the standard it should be at).

I just hope they come up with a better case design, the PS2 looks horrid.

11. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

PS3 as multi-purpose entertainment

When I buy a console it is to play the best games on it. I am not sure that games will be the focus of the PS3. All the hype about the PS3 seems to be centered around this home-entertainment hub idea that has never worked in the past. Anyone remember the Pippin, 3DO or Nuon? Basically SONY want to make the PS3 a kind of living room computer that will store your music, record your movies, connect the television to the internet, etc. With a rumored 64 RISC processors working in parallel this device will surely have great graphics and audio but I just don't think SONY will make a console as dedicated to playing games as Nintendo will do in the next generation.

Frankly I would be more excited by the idea of a SONY hand-held that can do 3D to the standard of the original PlayStation. Such a device would give the excellent Gameboy Advance SP a run for its (our) money and do more for mobile gaming than all the mobile phones with Java combined.

12. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Re: FireWire replaced by Ethernet?!

The PS2 does have room inside for a hd. There is a little plate on the back of the ps2 that pops right off, and that is where the hd goes. You can buy a hd for it right now if you get a linux kit for it, or if you live in Japan. There is no need to connect it in through the network at all, that was never their plan.

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: FireWire replaced by Ethernet?!

As already explained there is a spot in all PS2s for an internal hard drive. The ethernet adaptor actually has the ATA connectors on it to allow you to connect the hard drive. I didn't mean fo the ethernet to actually connect to a hard drive physically externally but to another computer and access that computers hard drive. You can actually connect to a Mac/PC right now using a program called BroadQ. It will allow you to stream video or audio files to the PS2 to play through your home entertainment center. Sony never put the firewire connector on the PS2 with the intent of connecting an external drive. It was there for a sort of local networking between other PS2s but since the ethernet adaptor is now out the firewire port is useless.

I don't know who created my quote. It's just something that's been floating around email for a couple weeks now.

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

When?

When is the expected release date of the PS3? 2004?

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: When?

There's been recent news pointing to a potential release date of the holiday season in December. Prior releases from Sony pointed to 2005.

16. andrewlandry macrumors member

okay, a little off topic - but the after doing some Googling, I have concluded that the quote belongs to Chris Rock, but it's original form is as follows:

the best rapper is a white guy
    the best golfer is a black guy
    the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese
    the Swiss hold the America's Cup
    France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance
    Germany doesn't want to go to war
    and the three most powerful men in America
    are named Bush, Dick and Colon.

- Chris Rock

17. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

No hard drive in PS2

I don't know why but I suspected it might have been Chris Rock.

If the PS2 has room for an internal hard drive then what is SONY waiting for? One of the selling points of the X-Box is that it has a hard-drive and considering that a PS2 is more expensive I would expect SONY to compete with the newer console on features like this. At the very least, if no hard drive is going to be included in the PS2 then why waste all that space in the first place? With its dark plastic and sharp edges the PS2 is the ugliest console on the market and I think that if they are not utilizing the hard drive space SONY might as well shrink the overall design.

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: No hard drive in PS2

They planned on utilizing it for the network game feature but due to poor planning on Sony's part that has taken longer they planned and when they finally did implement it they have done it poorly. Where is a PS2 more expensive then a Game Cube or XBox. From everything I have seen it's Microsoft and Nintendo that has been trying to keep up with Sony. Sony drop there price to $200 and everyone else had to keep up. You can utilize the hard drive space if you buy the Linux setup from them. Then you have a full blown computer with no RAM. The Sony is only ugly in appearance not in design. If you have a real entertainment center you can stand it on end and push it up agains the right side of the cabinet. Once you have done that the only part that shows is the top half with the DVD tray and controller inputs. It's really cool the way it nearly hides away.

19. PacmacMikey macrumors newbie

I think your forgetting (or just dont realise) that the Nintendo GAMECUBE is based on PPC, and has all the best games, Zelda, Mario, Star Fox, Metroid... And currently has Resident Evil Exclusive!:D

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yes, the nintendo already uses a PPC and Sony is more interested in developing there own proprietary chips any way.

Best Games!? That's one mans oppinion.

21. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

They are not making their own chip. IBM is making it for them.

22. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Nuh uh...it's at least 2. ;)

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

They are a major player in the developement process though.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Actually, it is one 12 year old girl's opinion.

If you can't play Grand Theft Auto or any one of the other 'mature' games on your console, your console isn't worthy of being a doorstop.

Real men play real games. Let me guess, how many Gamecube owners love animal crossing. Yikes. :rolleyes: