Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rasheem, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Rasheem macrumors regular

Hello! Im planning on camping outside an electronics store the night before PS3 is released. I am not planning on keeping the playstation i want to sell it on Ebay or craigslist. which store do you think i should go to(bestbuy,circuit city, wal-mart,etc)? Which of the playstation packages should i purchase? Should i buy a warranty to sell with the machine? Will stores limit the number of consoles you can purchase(Bestbuy was doing this with the x-box 360)? What price should be my starting bid on an ebay auction?
    -Thanks-

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

All I can say is-

good luck.

;) if you haven't preordered by now then you're going to need all the luck in the world.

3. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Buying the PS3 the day it comes out and then selling on Ebay for an (I assume) outrages price seems wrong somehow....
    I hope you don't get one.

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Better bring a pair of brass knux, and you better get there at least 1 day early. :rolleyes:

They will only let you purchase 1, I guarantee it.

5. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

ok, im not ultra woried about the crowds since i live in a suburban area in colorado and i dont think there will be more than one other die hard fan that sleeps at the store. but, the stored are required to have some for sale other than the preorders right? and what model do you think would sell better the one with the 20gb or 60gb drive?

6. fall3n macrumors 6502

Sorry, but this is the stupidest thing I've heard yet on this forum. The amount of time and effort your going to spend trying to get this thing and sell it on ebay you could already have made your profit by just working a normal job. First of all, you barely even know how to buy the thing yourself, what makes you think you'll be cabable of selling it off for a higher price? Second, at most you'll sell it for 1500, that's if your super lucky and have some idiot that will actually buy it for that. Which means you get a grand total profit of about 750 profit. So your going to camp outside an eb, fight your way in to try and buy it (except everything is already preordered and sold out, so i doubt they'll have free stock) and then try and sell it on ebay to some person on ebay. Hah, good luck on making the "quick & easy buck".

7. fall3n macrumors 6502

Why? If it sells it sells.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Why don't you try asking the stores how many they are getting? And yeah, they probably will limit sales to try to curb what you are doing, the kind of frown upon it because then you won't be buying games from them which is where they make the bulk of there video game money.

9. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who buys a PS3 from him/her?

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

This flame war has been fought before, lets not start it up again.

11. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

the prices on the ps3 are already outrages... :rolleyes:

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

PS3 is not expensive, I don't get why people whine so much about the price.

You do know you are getting a fully fledged BluRay Player with a fairly new and expensive Cell processor, not to mention a HDD and all niceties for just 500$, X360 is 400$, anyone with money for a 400$ console clearly has the money for a 500$ console, don't be such a whining hypocrite. Oh and also PS3 is a fully fledged computer, with support for keyboard and mouse and linux... you get a great value with PS3.

So stop whining about the price!!! PS3 is dissapointing and we all know Wii is tons better but if there is one thing about PS3 thats HARDLY an issue, its price, in fact, I don't even think its an issue, Sony has a lot more to worry about PS3 than price.

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

1) One nights lazing around playing DS games or watching movies on a PSP != enough time to work enough to make even your very very low $750 profit.

2) Even if it did only sell for $1500, that's $900 profit, not $750.

3) I predict that by Thanksgiving PS3's will sell for $2000+ on eBay, putting the profit closer to $1400.

4) Most of the PS3 stock is going to go to stores that don't take pre-orders. Local Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Circuit City, etc stores are going to be getting like 60% of the stock. There will be lots and lots of systems not "spoken for".

5) Even the game stores who took pre-orders will have some on the shelf. Think back to the 360 launch... stores that had pre-orders still to fill still had systems on the shelf (albeit in larger bundles). Why? If you pre-ordered they KNOW you will be buying a system from them as soon as they call you up. If you didn't pre-order you will be 'on the hunt' and may or may not get a system from them. Like I said, lot's of systems will be on shelves (for a few minutes) at other stores. Plus, the additional foot traffic in the store created by actually having some systems out on shelves generates revenue, which is what the store is trying to do. 'We're out of PS3's, but we have some 360's over here, or some games for your PS2 over here... have you seen the Wii? Plenty of those available to check out while we put you on the pre-order list'.

14. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Brass Knuckles is right.

Damn straight its gonna be needed. Anyone that has the cash to buy one or pre-order is the ppl that WOULD"VE bought it on eBay if they where desperate OR the one's that'll fight ya for it. And unless you got a posse, then most likely ya gonna get jacked before you make it to your car.

I was hoping it would fall off a truck - a whole shipment.

> Now I'm just waiting to see a youtube of another fool to boast that he got one to all those still in line at the mall parking lot (take your pick of city) and drops it while the car still rolls away and quick thinking kid picks it up and runs off with it :eek: ;) :D :cool: :p

15. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for answering my questions and not being such an ass about like that other guy!

16. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

one question that has yet to be answered! Which of the two PS3 options (20gb or 60gb hardrive) do you think would be easier to sell? make a bigger profit?

17. Malus macrumors 6502

I don't like when people buy a ps3 from the store and then post it on ebay for profit. When now a little boy won't have it for the holiday season....way to ruin his year.

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

*coughfanboycough*

19. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

lmao

20. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

EXACTLY! I think the op is an ASS! I want to make profit by illiminating the possibility of one to enjoy a bit of comfort/entertainment/pleasure. Sounds like a corporation or even a government ready to segregate a small populace. Yeah that thought is overboard but the roots are the same. Here's a thought, save your money & buy the PS3 to own and enjoy, and work to make money, or save your money, invest it so it can work FOR you to make a profit?! After all you live in a nation of dreams and capitalist opportunities.

21. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

So is it wrong that someone buys a piece of land in an area with rising property values and then sells it for a large profit? What about people who buy APPL stock the week before MWSF on the hunch Apple will release a great new product, causing the stock to jump in price the following afternoon/day?

22. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

To answer the unanswered question:

60GB is probably the way to go to get the most money. People who are willing to shell out want to be the first to have the "best" new product.

23. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

24. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

oh no here we go again.. the last 10 page plus thread wasn't enough lol..

25. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I hope you camp outside all night, catch a really nasty cold, and then find out that they're all sold out.