Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is the Neo really going to be worth it though? At this point, I have only heard the Neo will have support for developers to advance further into game developing and for Virtual Reality. Is there anything else? My PS4 is like brand new and I am not sold on the NEO until it has something major to Offer. A slimmer PS4 will not be enough to warrant a purchase for me.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Is the Neo really going to be worth it though? At this point, I have only heard the Neo will have support for developers to advance further into game developing and for Virtual Reality. Is there anything else? My PS4 is like brand new and I am not sold on the NEO until it has something major to Offer. A slimmer PS4 will not be enough to warrant a purchase for me.

Rumors, rumors, rumors...

MS one-upped them by including a 4K UHD BR playback drive in their S model.

All I've heard is that the first 4K UHD PLAYER ONLY from Sony will be in 2017, after the supposed release of the NEO. :eek:

http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-4k-blu-ray-player-might-not-arrive-until-2017/

Sunil Nayyar, Sony's director of US TV business, said the company plans to focus on a 4K streaming service before launching a physical 4K disc player. The statement first appeared in the trade publication TWICE.

That's also what I'm hearing right now also, companies wanting to forgo physical media and go to a pay-per-view model...

AFA consoles, I spoke with a person at Gamestop who said that PS4's (yes, even used ones at $320, $100 more than a used XBox One) are still selling rather briskly.

The NEO will just be a more powerful PS4 with 1080/60p (with game patches) and smoother PS VR.

The PS4 Slim would be for people like me - those who want a smaller, quieter, and cooler running model. Hopefully we'll see a lot of price wars this Holiday.

Sony is "resting" on their laurels right now.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Rumors, rumors, rumors...

MS one-upped them by including a 4K UHD BR playback drive in their S model.

All I've heard is that the first 4K UHD PLAYER ONLY from Sony will be in 2017, after the supposed release of the NEO. :eek:

http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-4k-blu-ray-player-might-not-arrive-until-2017/

That's also what I'm hearing right now also, companies wanting to forgo physical media and go to a pay-per-view model...

AFA consoles, I spoke with a person at Gamestop who said that PS4's (yes, even used ones at $320, $100 more than a used XBox One) are still selling rather briskly.

The NEO will just be a more powerful PS4 with 1080/60p (with game patches) and smoother PS VR.

Sony is "resting" on their laurels right now.

Sony has always beaten the XBox in sales. Microsoft has tried so hard to compete and they struggle. Like you mentioned, a used PS4 still outsells the XBox One. And I'm not an XBox hater, but even terms of hardware, the PS4 wins.

Whenever the Neo launches, it's going to take time for these developers to be releasing any major changes and all titles for that matter at 60 FPS.

If it's worth it, I will gladly upgrade when the time is right.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Sony has always beaten the XBox in sales. Microsoft has tried so hard to compete and they struggle. Like you mentioned, a used PS4 still outsells the XBox One. And I'm not an XBox hater, but even terms of hardware, the PS4 wins.

Actually, not really - especially when the PS3 came in at $500 & $600... :eek:

360toPS3feb.jpg

Sony beat this gen only because MS made people buy the Kinect instead of just throwing that in for the same price as the PS4...

But it is just part of the constant leap-frogging. We all win with the competition.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
My mistake. I should've specified that the PS4 has had greater sales over the Xbox One in the last two years. I was not referring to the obsolete 360 and or PS3.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/109466/20151123/ps4-vs-xbox-one-numbers.htm

No worries.

Last month, though, XBox One sales surpassed PS4.

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/xbox-one-beats-ps4-u-s-consoles-sales-last-month-rare-win-microsoft/

Mainly because of the fire-sales of the older model, plus release of the S with 4K UHD BR drive at the same pricepoint of the Samsung player.

Plus, people are generally waiting for a announcement from Sony as far as a price drop, their slim model, and the Neo.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

We will find out on Sept 7th at Sonys announcement in NY.

Sony has confirmed their next high end PS will include a UHD player. Notable devs have confirmed games can support 4K although this comes with the obvious caveat "when possible".

And I haven't heard anything worthwhile about HDR. But I can would say UHD BD HDR will be there. I REALLY hope that makes it into gaming. I'm fairly deep in PS's ecosystem, but I'd consider xbox's project Scorpio for HDR gaming.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If this new PS4 was actual 4K and not just UHD then this would be pretty amazing. But do any 4K (not UHD) TVs actually ecist to buy?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If this new PS4 was actual 4K and not just UHD then this would be pretty amazing. But do any 4K (not UHD) TVs actually ecist to buy?

I believe it's UHD, when referencing TVs manufacturers have warped the definition of each for me to use them interchangeably. But I believe the PS Neo is a UHD resolution of 3840x2160.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Microsoft have beaten Sonys sales in some territories for the odd month lately. So they are slowly coming back.
Anyway I think the leaked PS4 slim is very ugly looking, it will also be like the PS3 Slim and the Xbox 360 before the last model, Microsoft gave it a fresh look and new features and lowered the price, Sony just made a smaller console, bumped up the storage and charged the exact same pricing. This PS4 Slim will be no different.

So for the Neo I think it's going do be expensive, we'll find out soon but this gen Sony has been incredibly poor value, and with the recent hike in PSN costs I can't see them changing that outlook?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Anyway I think the leaked PS4 slim is very ugly looking, it will also be like the PS3 Slim and the Xbox 360 before the last model, Microsoft gave it a fresh look and new features and lowered the price, Sony just made a smaller console, bumped up the storage and charged the exact same pricing. This PS4 Slim will be no different.

So for the Neo I think it's going do be expensive, we'll find out soon but this gen Sony has been incredibly poor value, and with the recent hike in PSN costs I can't see them changing that outlook?

You would think Sony would lower the price and make the PS4 Slim $299. Still not quite the deal of an XBox One S at $299 with 4K UHD Drive and HDR.

The NEO should come in at $399, again, it will only be a "slight" upgrade, plus people.

But who's to say that Sony will make the prices $349 (Slim) and $449 (NEO)?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
You would think Sony would lower the price and make the PS4 Slim $299. Still not quite the deal of an XBox One S at $299 with 4K UHD Drive and HDR.

The NEO should come in at $399, again, it will only be a "slight" upgrade, plus people.

But who's to say that Sony will make the prices $349 (Slim) and $449 (NEO)?

Sony hasn't been offering good value for money. It charges you to play backwards compatible games and the games it includes in the PSN Plus sub for the PS4 are usually indie titles, nothing like what was offered on the PS3 or is offered on the Xbox One. That's why I can't see them being generous in pricing now.
Latest rumours now say though that the Neo won't be launched until next year, surprise surprise around the same time as the Scorpio. We will know next week though.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Sony hasn't been offering good value for money. It charges you to play backwards compatible games and the games it includes in the PSN Plus sub for the PS4 are usually indie titles, nothing like what was offered on the PS3 or is offered on the Xbox One. That's why I can't see them being generous in pricing now.
Latest rumours now say though that the Neo won't be launched until next year, surprise surprise around the same time as the Scorpio. We will know next week though.

Neo's gotta go this year, my understanding, to compliment Sony PS VR - unless Sony wants you to play on a regular PS4 until then.

Would make sense to release next year if Neo is to compete with Scorpio (put a more powerful chipset in it as well as UHD BR players will be cheaper by then).

I guess we will see on the 7th...

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
i dont have a ps4 yet but im going towards the ps4 slim. Sony always makes a fat, slim and upgraded version, every time they take out a new model. i currently have a ps3 slim.

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
i dont have a ps4 yet but im going towards the ps4 slim. Sony always makes a fat, slim and upgraded version, every time they take out a new model. i currently have a ps3 slim.

I had a PS3 original when they got rid of the PS2 chips and then I got an extra $100 off so it came to $299. Used that for the longest time but earlier this year got a PS3 slim for $99 at Gamestop on sale - it is so much nicer and love the design. I have a super-slim new-in-box for my collection I got for $125 at holidays 2015, but it seemed so cheap and I hate that disc slider door...

Looking forward to the two new models tomorrow.

Rumor is also that the prices will drop to $299 for PS4 Slim and $399 for PS4 NEO, both models being released at the same time.

An improvement in speed to the Slim and 4K UHD BR Drive for the NEO we have yet to see...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Biggest negative though ... Only 1TB !!!!!

I'm already nearly using my 2TB drive as is. I hope they update to allow games to be installed to an external HDD.
[doublepost=1473277997][/doublepost]
PS4 Pro, $399 w/o 4K UHD Drive - makes sense to help keep the cost at $399...

eBay resellers - start your engines... :eek:

I was impressed, though - a lot more than Apple's press conference...

LOL yeah me too. Let me think. PS4 neo €399. Or iPhone 7 Plus 128 for €1029 !!!! I know which I am willing to buy on impulse alone :)

Just keeping an eye on Gamestop now to pre-order as I know they will have a trade up option and it means I can likely upgrade for less than €200

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Biggest negative though ... Only 1TB !!!!!

I'm already nearly using my 2TB drive as is. I hope they update to allow games to be installed to an external HDD.
[doublepost=1473277997][/doublepost]

LOL yeah me too. Let me think. PS4 neo €399. Or iPhone 7 Plus 128 for €1029 !!!! I know which I am willing to buy on impulse alone :)

I find 4K sets to be gorgeous (I've always thought 1080p still "pixel-ey" for me - I like to be up close).

4K HDR forward compatibility with games will be nice - I hope Sony does the PS4 Pro patch for Killzone: Shadow Fall.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I find 4K sets to be gorgeous (I've always thought 1080p still "pixel-ey" for me - I like to be up close).

4K HDR forward compatibility with games will be nice - I hope Sony does the PS4 Pro patch for Killzone: Shadow Fall.

Yeah I'm so surprised at the price (I expected €499-599) I may just decide to keep my 1080p PS4 for the bedroom and get PS4 Pro for my 4k HDR set in the living room with my Xbox One S. That way transferring my exisiting content willbe less of a hassle.

Nice that they are going to put out a patch so all PS4's can output 10bit colour (HDR) if your TV supports it.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
No UHD Bluray drive is disappointing.

I am going to wait on reports on fan noise before I upgrade. Too happy with the finally quiet recent hardware revision to jump into this blindly.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I am going to wait on reports on fan noise before I upgrade. Too happy with the finally quiet recent hardware revision to jump into this blindly.

Are you serious ? Surely there must be one ? I missed that if not - especially as the XB1S has it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

Expected...

- Keeps the price at $399 ($449+ was gonna be "pushing it").
- Sony wasn't going to release a 4K UHD Player until Holiday 2017.
- Sony and most studios, at the quality of this format, want to go to a "Pay-Per-Play" model.

Studios, at each format iteration (Tape, DVD, BR, now UHD) were getting more and more nervous letting people "Own their own high picture quality movie/show". UHD Discs are just that.

Hence, the slow release of 4K UHD movies compared to when DVD's were first released...

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
It actually works out great for me. I don't think I sit close enpugh to my tv to actually appreciate the difference when watching a 4k movie. So I don't see myself spending money on UHD discs. I'm just surprised they didn't include the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.