playstation/airport help

Discussion in 'Games' started by enriquecaballo, Aug 30, 2004.

1. enriquecaballo macrumors newbie

ok, so here's my setup. i currently have an ibook g4 that is connected to the internet through airport express. my modem sits behind my stereo in the living room. the airport express is attached to the modem, and i have a/v cables running from airport express to the stereo.

i'd like to hook up my playstation to the internet so that i can play on-line. however, my playstation is in my bedroom. i need to keep my airport express in the living room, as that's the stereo i want to have attached to the internet.

can i just buy something like the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router and hook that up to my playstation in the bedroom? will the linksys and airport express be able to coexist?

any help is appreciated. i've thought of the linksys because it can be had for around $50, and i've heard it does a good job. i hope i don't need to buy another airport express for $120.

-enrique

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What you want is called a Wireless bridge. You do not need or want a router. Airport express can do what you want, but of course, you dont want to buy another $129 unit. Just go to Best Buy or your local tech store of choice and pick up any 'ol Wireless bridge... they're all 802.11x compatible.

3. enriquecaballo thread starter macrumors newbie

bridges vs. routers

am i crazy, but after looking on the internet, it seems the bridges cost more than routers? can a router not work as a bridge as well?

if this is correct, then perhaps it would be cheaper for me to hook up the modem to a router in my bedroom, and then use the airport express as a bridge.

the only reason i'm saying this is that the linksys i mentioned can be had for a little more than $50, but bridges with decent ratings seem to cost $75 or more.

-enrique

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Why do you need decent ratings for a bridge? You dont have to worry about range or anything. It performs one function and one function only. Some routers can be used as a bridge, some cant, check on each model.