Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Greetings,
I noticed a discussion from August about Flarestorm and another emulator for OS X for Playstation. Does anyone know any of the latest news on the best working ps emulator for OS X? I'm on the look-out.....desperately!

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
I do not know of a good psx emu for osx. Virtual Gamestation by Connectix is the most compatible psx emulator out there. Too bad it only works in os9 (no classic).
VGS runs like a champ on my new gig tibook. It is the only reason that I need to boot into os9. Now all I need is a good controller.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
anyone know of a ps2 emulator out there? And if there were, wouldn't you have to have a computer with a dvd player? PS2 games are DVD's right?

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
Originally posted by irmongoose
Are they selling VGS anywhere online? I had heard it was discontinued...

irmongoose

Yes, VGS has been discontinued. You may be able to snag a copy of vgs on ebay. Or if you are really resourceful, you can find it through "alternate channels" on the internet. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
Originally posted by me hate windows
anyone know of a ps2 emulator out there? And if there were, wouldn't you have to have a computer with a dvd player? PS2 games are DVD's right?
Some PS2 games are DVD. A decent number are still done on CDs though.

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Tangent question...

I was actually looking for a PS2 emulator this evening for one reason, too...

I'd like to get an uncompressd AIFF or WAV of the Playstation 2 startup/branding tone. It's very short, futuristic whir. If anyone knows where I can download this soundbyte or find a PS2 emulator that I can use to hijack the sound, that would be terrific.

Thanks, gang.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by irmongoose
Are they selling VGS anywhere online? I had heard it was discontinued...

irmongoose
You guys know why it was discontinued dont you. Right before sony came out with the ps2 the bought connectix. they still sold virtual game station for a little while. that was a very smart move by sony or else we would be playing vice city on our macs.

iJon

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Tangent question...

If you have a Playstation 2 or a friend with one plug it into your computer, just the audio ports and then use something like Sound Studio to record it. Probably the best quality as well.

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
PS2 sound

Originally posted by bidge
If you have a Playstation 2 or a friend with one plug it into your computer, just the audio ports and then use something like Sound Studio to record it. Probably the best quality as well.

Yeah, that would work great... except I don't have access to a PS2 at the moment. No biggie, really... I was just wondering if there existed a site somewhere that may offer the WAV of that sound so I can just download it.

:confused:

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
Re: PS2 sound

Originally posted by Skandranon

Yeah, that would work great... except I don't have access to a PS2 at the moment. No biggie, really... I was just wondering if there existed a site somewhere that may offer the WAV of that sound so I can just download it.

:confused:

I personally haven't heard it, if I see anyone with one I'll do it for you, but probably not terribly likely.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
This is a good site, too.

http://www.emulation.net/

Try a P2P to get the sound, or just search the net. Someone's got to have it. You may even be able to e-mail Sony to ask what it is. That's how I found out what the song was from that old GAP commercial.

Then again, Sony probably won't be that helpful.

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
I heard of a PS2 emulator for OSX only in the works. Called "The Grinch" I think. Try a google search "OSX PS2 emulator" or something similar.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
in the old thread, a member had asked if anyone would be interested in a port of pcsx to the mac (http://www.pcsx.net). we all said yes, but unfortunately, schoolwork got in the way and the project never left the ground (school can really suck sometimes - i'm in the middle of finals right now and should probably be studying myself). i certainly hope that someone manages to port this emulator to the mac one day as it is about 98% compete and offers very good compatability (the member who origionally proposed it had ported this emulator to the pocket pc). flarestorm is really slow (although it does not work on any games i've tried, so i cant really say for sure) and requires that you know the exact location of the rom on the psone mobo for the dump that you are using.

i've seen websites for pc ps2 emulators but none of them are very developed at this point.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
well, judging by the amount of time thats passed since that article was posted,(and not hearing anything about it since) i think its pretty safe to say they have run into some problems or are just being really secretive.

But then again maybe sony just bought them out and locked the programmers up somewhere in japan.. Probably not though.

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
I have a copy of VGS that i'll send a CD image of to anyone who e-mails me for it and gets on AIM (rs053).

i actually have a macAlly iShock one, which is EXACTLY like a PS DualShock controller, right down to the symbols on the buttons!

Very easy to program to work with VGS, it was kind of meant to...

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Sherman,
you're the man. thanks for the emulator. along with everyone else who's talked it up on this forum. "The Grinch" shuld be the bomb.

peace.

UselessObserver

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Yellow-Dog PS2-3

if you have an old HD to spare the you could always install yellow-dog linux
which will let you do almost anything with PS 2/3, i cant go into detail as im only just getting into it but my dream is to play GTA on my g5 as someone mentioned above, so if anyones interested then i will keep you updated on how i get on...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.