Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I get the excitement of seeing ROM emulators hitting the Apple TV (Finally!). What I don't get is why don't these game companies just start putting the games up themselves, for $0.99 each. I'd buy a gazillion of the games that I grew up with, and I don't even play games today. This is such a no brainer to me... it's such low hanging fruit.
Licensing. That and some of these companies don’t exist anymore.

Last edited:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Huh. I wonder how this will work on AppleTV. There's no persistent user-accessible storage, so where will your ROMs go? Will you have to put them in Dropbox (or similar) and then enter a URL into the app so that it can download them on-demand?

I really wish Apple would let us use the storage space we paid for on our AppleTVs...
Dropbox or Google Drive is probably what they’ll go with. It makes sense. Provenance is already available on Apple TV to sideload and the ATV will delete the ROMs and saves when it feels like it. Had it happen. It is fantastic when it’s working though. Just a bit of lag because of Bluetooth but you adapt to it fairly quickly. Can’t remember if they had a workaround for JIT or not.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
If this were a Google forum and a hypothetical Anti-EU were forcing them to close down the walled garden, would you say that the average Android user literally doesn't care about walled gardens and they like things the way they are?

lagdroid isn’t a walled garden lol. That’s why it’s so popular with its fans so it can be used for questionable things. Oh and it is cheap so anyone can get it.
Ok, what makes them different?
Because it’s not lagdroid lol.

It actually has a strong ecosystem and there is far more consistency with updates and overall feel and performance.

That’s for starters. But I’m not here to discuss lagdroid.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
If I was Nintendo, Sega, or Sony I would do exactly this. Take your old ROMs and put them in an emulator store (like iTunes) sell them for .99 or 1.99 and people could buy the roms. They aren’t making any money off the pirated one, or physical copies, so why not embrace emulation and make some. Money off of it.
That's the crux of the issue... Nintendo makes their own hardware and they want to push people to get in on that ecosystem. Nintendo doesn't want to give Apple their 30% cut when they can get all of it for themselves. Plus, they control he hardware, firmware, OS updates, so they're not at the whim if Apple decides to release a new version of iOS (major or not), that can potentially break things, and cause a nontrivial amount of man hours just to fix things. Hell, the Switch is doing so well that they can pretty much ignore iOS.

It'd be like asking why Apple doesn't license out iOS to other manufacturers. It's all about quality control.

Edit: imagine if these companies made their own emulator. Nintendo could make a emulator, make it only run DRM copies of ROMs from their game store, and people would go nuts, heck imagine being able to play all the games from a system for 5.99 a month.
Nintendo already has Nintendo Switch Online. It's $20 per year for the basic tier, or $50 per year for the premium tier (which also includes GBA, n64, and Genesis). Not unlike Apple One family plan, Family plans are available for NSO if multiple people want to get in on that, and save $$ on a per-person basis.

Last edited:

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I get the excitement of seeing ROM emulators hitting the Apple TV (Finally!). What I don't get is why don't these game companies just start putting the games up themselves, for $0.99 each. I'd buy a gazillion of the games that I grew up with, and I don't even play games today. This is such a no brainer to me... it's such low hanging fruit.
Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have their own hardware. Nintendo has Nintendo Switch Online because they prefer people pay a subscription vs. a la carte. Plus, it's a lot of work to put in man hours to make mobile games (nm whenever a new version of iOS can break things). Furthermore on that platform, they gotta compete with all of the grindy, gacha, "predatory p2w nonsense" games. They're better off just enticing people to come to their own hardware.

They should find a way to license these and fill the arcade with this. I'd pay $5 to play as many retro games as I could, legally.

I doubt there would be an agreement. Apple is a company that typically wants more money. Nintendo is also a company that typically wants more money. They're both also kinda "control freaks" when it comes to their own hardware, their software, and other assets. They need to come to an agreement that'll satisfy both sides and I doubt that'll happen. An article stated how while there have been more devs leaving Apple Arcade because while the payouts started off good; years later, they've gotten smaller. Some of them even left Apple to put their games on Netflix Games (to the vindictiveness of Apple).

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
ROMs were probably the last common reason to even bother with Android for most casual users.
Not here. I honestly prefer Android as an OS, phone, and other services and software. I don't touch emulators just because I have plenty of regular (non-emu) games. For the longest time, Slice & Dice was only Android, Windows, and macOS. Last March, it finally came out for Steam and iOS! :cool: (didn't affect me, but I have some iPhone only friends who really wanted it for phone, and now it's available!)

EDIT: They also have better prices

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
But I’m not here to discuss lagdroid.
An unfunny nickname for it suggests never actually spending any real amount of time with an Android phone and can therefore not produce an objective opinion on it. It’s like when Nintendo 64 owners used to call it a ‘GreyStation’ in the 1990s. Playground fanboyism is over.

You’d be right about the lag on a $100 Device but anything over $300 runs buttery smooth thanks to best universal 90hz screens.

theOmega

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2018
Apple might as well stop with Apple Arcade, this stuff is going to blow it out of the water as a free app. No wonder they wanted to block emulators for so long.
This is cool but has a limited and dying audience, this has likely little appeal for gen Z and younger generations

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
This won’t last long. Nintendo alone will get this all taken down soon. They always do, but they build their legal case and take their time before launching the strike!

• Disagree
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
An unfunny nickname for it suggests never actually spending any real amount of time with an Android phone and can therefore not produce an objective opinion on it. It’s like when Nintendo 64 owners used to call it a ‘GreyStation’ in the 1990s. Playground fanboyism is over.

You’d be right about the lag on a $100 Device but anything over $300 runs buttery smooth thanks to best universal 90hz screens.
That’s what happens when you assume. I love when ppl try to claim I never owned android or I have only used cheap android.

1. I owned the very first android the g1.
2. I owned the first faux g and I was the biggest fan fangirl of the droid line
3. I’ve owned four nexus phones (the line before pixel)
4. The first four or five generations of the galaxy line.
5. Niche phones like the PlayStation android phone. I even owned the first dual screen phone way back in 2011 before foldables became mainstream.
6. I was a part of the 3d rage.

I was mainly an htc girl

I currently only on a galaxy z flip and a S22.

Not to mention my years of using lumia windows phone and webos devices. Not to mention dabbling with blackberry storm (terrible device).

Please don’t tell me what my experience is when I have used android Since 2008. About 60 different models (most high end) I can think I’ve owned at one point or another In the last 16 years.

It’s a terrible os and the nick name isn’t one I came up with. It is fitting though.

Any other comments from the peanut gallery?

omiks

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2021
Nintendo are going to be playing Whack-a-Mole shutting down ROM sites. Meanwhile, downloading ROMs is going to be like walking into a hospital at the height of COVID for your computer/device to not get infected with Malware. 😆
Will pirate bay come back for ROMs full throttle?

Reactions: wbeasley

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Nintendo are going to be playing Whack-a-Mole shutting down ROM sites. Meanwhile, downloading ROMs is going to be like walking into a hospital at the height of COVID for your computer/device to not get infected with Malware. 😆
or people could just go to the internet archive and download backups of the ROMs they own in one large zip!

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
Because it’s not lagdroid lol.
That's meaningless. Just as meaningless as saying "sideloading makes iOS just like Android", because if you think iOS is already that similar to Android and you don't like the direction iOS is going, just switch already and shut up.

It actually has a strong ecosystem and there is far more consistency with updates and overall feel and performance.
Ooooh so they're not exactly the same, are they??

Reactions: AppliedMicro

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
OMG this is so simple to run and load ROMs.

Like SOOOOOO easy.

The Nintendo Delta emulator app loads and runs like any other app.
A very quick and easy search in Safari with name of game and "ROM" gets a download.
Then open the Folder and it adds the game.

Every old console maker if going to spew.
Given the vintage, ROMs have no copy control because they were tied to a cartridge purchase and didnt access internet for checking any licence.

Seriously, rights owners have the option to sell ROMs on iTunes so selling them cheaply would at least tie them to an AppleID and not be so easy to share.

Touch buttons aren't as good as real buttons.
Guessing a Bluetooth game controller will fix that...

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
I’m not downloading stuff from outside the app store to get the roms. This is a no for me.
you download he emulator from the app store.
the ROMs you could buy in iTunes is someone sells them there or "go outside" and "find" a ROM and download.
the Delta app uses the file extension to determine what hardware emulator to run the ROM with.
It seems to work very well... for a nostalgia hit.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
you download he emulator from the app store.
the ROMs you could buy in iTunes is someone sells them there or "go outside" and "find" a ROM and download.
the Delta app uses the file extension to determine what hardware emulator to run the ROM with.
It seems to work very well... for a nostalgia hit.

who sells roms on itunes store?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008

I think it has to do with copyright issues

Reactions: wbeasley

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
who sells roms on itunes store?
Delta lets you run an iTunes purchased ROM... so if anyone with rights put the in the store, you COULD buy them.
It would be a sensible monetize situation for those wanting a legal way to install.

I'm guessing most people just pirate ROMs.

Then again, most people pirated MP3s until Apple created the iTunes store.
It would be an interesting experiment to see if people would pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.