Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
The Playstation Vue Apple TV app is now available in the app store!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigpatky

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Not sure I like it. It's very "busy" and the side-scrolling guide makes it difficult to find see what's on. I also don't really like how the app handles favorite channels. I doubt I will be keeping it past the free trial.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Nice! I'd never really considered Vue because it wasn't available on my Apple TV and I didn't really want to purchase another box, but this is good news. I'm looking at their channel options right now and am thinking this could be a good alternative for my parents, who are looking to reduce their insanely high monthly cable bill, since this seems to be the only streaming service that includes NESN in the Boston region - a must have for them.

I just have some questions about how Vue handles other sports, namely Patriots games that air on CBS or Fox. I had CBS All Access for a bit but Pats games were always blacked out, which was irritating enough for me to cancel. Does Vue blackout these games as well? Access to Sox/Pats games and NESN are requirements for them, haha. But, if Vue blacks these games out, I might just combine it with a Tablo for OTA broadcasts because Fox and CBS games come in that way as well, right?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have!

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
As the OP said there is now an app available on the Apple TV App Store.

I understand that but some apps (like the iOS version) require that you have a PS4 to activate it. I looked though and it seems not to which is great and $30 is cheaper than $35 from DTV Now :)
[doublepost=1479410534][/doublepost]Wow the UI is horrible. Its actually worse than Sling and I didn't think that was possible.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I understand that but some apps (like the iOS version) require that you have a PS4 to activate it. I looked though and it seems not to which is great and $30 is cheaper than $35 from DTV Now :)
[doublepost=1479410534][/doublepost]Wow the UI is horrible. Its actually worse than Sling and I didn't think that was possible.
I disagree...I kind of like the UI. Needs to be a bit more responsive, but it's way easier to find things on Vue than Sling, imo.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I disagree...I kind of like the UI. Needs to be a bit more responsive, but it's way easier to find things on Vue than Sling, imo.

I think the Sling UI is a mess,

I would like to hear other opinions on the VUE UI (also maybe compare it to the PS4 UI which i'm sure is the best)

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I do think the Sling UI could use some improvement. In my opinion, though, the PSVue UI is indeed a complete mess. With that moving video in the background of everything it makes it difficult to distinguish what I'm looking at in the foreground.

The favorites channels appears to be useless. Before I even viewed any channels at all or added any favs it already contained a handful of channels. Then it continued to add channels that I simply viewed, but didn't favorite so that by the time I actually did favorite a channel there were so many items in the list that I couldn't tell what were my actual favs and which weren't.

Don't get me started on the side scrolling.

The live guide is also hard to use. First it side scrolls, then as I scroll around, the highlighted item jumps around so much I lose track of what I'm looking at.

On the plus side, I do find the app responsive the picture does look good. So that's something. I won't be continuing after the 7 day free trial, though. I just don't watch that much live tv other than football to justify it.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Works just like it did when I had my firetv. Same ui and everything. No issues so far streaming, works very smooth.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Not sure I like it. It's very "busy" and the side-scrolling guide makes it difficult to find see what's on. I also don't really like how the app handles favorite channels. I doubt I will be keeping it past the free trial.

100% agree with you.

I won't be cancelling DTV for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.