Please advise: Bent case on G5 during shipping

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kah, Aug 17, 2005.

1. kah macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new and here in the hopes of gathering some opinions on how I should proceed.

The story:

I hastily sold my PowerMac G5 2GHz dual with 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, Combo drive, 56k modem, standard KB/M (no display) through macofalltrades.com for an offer of $1,300 so that I could replace it with a PowerBook G4. I packed the machine meticulously, but was unaware of the fact that the handles would not receive adequate support during transit.

Macofalltrades.com sent me the following e-mail:

Hello,

We received the you shipped 8/15/05. Thank you. Everything checks-out with
    the following exception:

The machine's casing and bottom handle got bend during transit. The machine
    was packaged well by most standards for computers; however, without the G5
    custom Styrofoam, we have seen these units bend in the past. A lot of it has
    to do with Apple's design and the weight the machine. Please see the
    attached pictures. Unfortunately, the casing has to be replaced in order for
    us to resell the item. You would think the casing could simply be bent-back
    or handles replaced. Unfortunately, they are not - another flaw in the
    design. Here are your options:

1) You can take the machine back in accordance with the terms and conditions
    on the bottom of your Purchase Order. We would repackage it in order to
    prevent further damage. You would be responsible for freight.

2) We can have the casing replaced. Parts and labor on this are $445. This
    would be deducted from the payment amount.

3) As the "shipper," you have the right to file a UPS claim from your end.
    We have retained all the shipping materials should there be a damage
    inspection. In the past, we have found UPS does not pay claims in these
    situations when there is no damage to the box.

With the understanding that I may not have taken the best course of action to begin with, what seems most viable now? Get the Mac back and try to sell it elsewhere (here, for instance)? Eat the $445? Or try to file a claim against UPS, regardless of the fact that the box itself was not damaged?

Please note the attached images they sent.

Thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

File the claim!

UPS has been good to me with problems like this. If the claim doesn't work out, then I would suggest you weight out what is more important to you: paying the $445 from the $1300, or trying to resell it yourself on eBay. I think that you'll probably get at least $1300 on eBay even with the damage. That is one loaded computer.

Best of luck to you.
    Seth

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

That box in the 3rd pic looks pretty beat up.... file the claim!

4. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

That's some bull#$%^ right there... take that mofo back and sell it to me for $1300. I'll worry about the @#$%ing case.

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I wouldn't bother with UPS. It's going to be a hassle, and like others have said, you'll get close to what you want on eBay or here.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's worth more than $1300 in the marketplace here (more than likely) -- even with the bent handle.

You are getting ripped off twice from those people.

People would be quite happy to pay that here, but alas no more newbie sales in the Marketplace under the new rules. :eek:

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's worth whatever its worth, but I don't agree he's getting ripped off. He contracted to sell it at $1.3K fair and square and failed to deliver what he agreed to, due to inadequate packaging. I can't see UPS paying for it.

Whether it was worth more than 1.3K is immaterial - he chose that deal because he wanted the cash in a hurry without the time effort and risk of selling on eBay or privately. The tradeoff is he tooka wholesale price on the unit. Nothing wrong with that.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Your G5 looks so sad in the picture. You should file a claim with UPS. That is part of what your paying, is shipment in the same condition. Surprised that you would have wanted to sell such an awesome Mac.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Take it back and replace the case yourself. I have seen the G5 case alone in great condition go for well under $200 on ebay. After you replace it resell the entire system on ebay. And sell the now empty bent up shell G5 case for anything you can get on ebay.

By the way you should get over $2K for that dual 2.7Ghz G5

10. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Nah, really, just sell it to me as-is. I got your $1300 right here 8)

11. kah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I think I'm going to get them to ship it back to me and then sell it on Ebay. Sorry, kalisphoenix. :)

I may look further into filing the claim, but I'm not certain that I can do that and have the PowerMac returned. Seeing that macofalltrades has had experience with cases becoming damaged in the past, even though it's not their responsibility, I may suggest to them that they make sellers aware of this problem before they ship.

Am I permitted to advertise an auction in the forum, even if I can't sell through it directly?

12. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

You should have kept the box.
    I would say try and make a claim or take it back, try and bend it better, sell on ebay for a decent profit... But still wasting and losing heaps of your money, then get a new comp.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I still think he's getting ripped off, especially considering that the Mac of All Trades site says they will buy those machines for 2175. ;)

14. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Take it back and sell it on ebay. I would give you $1300 for it right now even with the damage. That is a sweet machine and they were ripping you off BIG TIME!

15. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Oh, some ebay tips. Start bidding at $1 with no reserve price. Be sure to feature the item and you will see the bids pour in. That has never failed for me and you will get a higher price going this route than if you set a price.

16. kah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips, Chrispy.

I don't know where my mind was, but I typed out the wrong specs above (which I just edited.. it's a 2GHz dual with 1GB RAM). It still seems I should be able to get $1,300 or more.

17. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I checked ebay and non-damaged units like yours are taking in about $1600 so you should be in good shape. Again, I can't stress the $1 starting price with no reserve enough. My employer is so awesome that they gave me a nice little bonus before I went back to school as well as a PC laptop. I am going to go ahead and get myself a nice powerbook soon and I'm selling my 14" iBook right now. It has 2 days left and is up to over $1200 with 40-some bids :eek: I sold a Dell doing the same thing and actually MADE a few hundred bucks on the sale!

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A little difference in the price between the two. :eek:

But you can see why some of us thought you were getting ripped off.

Even with a bent handle you should still be able to do better than the $850 the other guys wanted to give you.

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I simply do not understand why you would not file a claim with UPS.

You have all your documentation and a report from the
    recipient showing it was received with shipping damage.

Hassle or not, it's still better than trying to sell damaged machine.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You actually expect UPS to pay?

Most likely the claim will be denied due to improper packaging, and at best he will get $100 if it wasn't insured.

Usually UPS doesn't pay damage claims too often, hard enough to get them to pay for a lost item.

21. kah thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to attempt to file the claim and get them to return the machine, but apparently I can only do one or the other, so I'm just going to have them return it.

They're not a bad company, from what I know, but I definitely think they could have been a lot more helpful. I wouldn't attempt business with them again.

Thanks, all. You guys are helping me right this as much as I can, at this point.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What is stopping you from filing a claim?

You are the shipper and entitled to file a claim.

Especially since you are giving up payment for what you shipped and getting the damaged merchandise back.

Or is macofalltrades.com being a problem, remember their policy letter to you said...

23. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

dont just replace the casing. man that machince is beat up pretty damn bad if you ask me. what makes you think that later on you wont find other issues wrong with it due to this "cosmetic" problem? maybe theres a small hairline fracture in one of the boards
    :eek:

and dont let the company you bought it from off the hook. just because they said that it left their warehouse in good condition doesnt mean that it did. basically, you will NOT have to accept this unit and do NOT get it fixed. get it replaced. PERIOD. like i said. this could cause problems down the road and you dont have the luxury to give them the benefit of the doubt on an item your paying top dollar for. you expect, just like any other consumer to get perfect goods. not damaged.

if UPS or the company you bought it from (which in my eyes could still be to blame) does not resolve this issue for you at NO extra costs than i will be amazed.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

>beatle888

He is the SELLER, the company you said not to let off the hook. ;)

25. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You got ahold of the wrong end of the stick. Kah IS the seller, and Kah IS the person who shipped it with (as results show) inadequate packaging.