Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

disfasia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
I am thinking of buying the following:
• 2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
• 8GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 8x1GB
• 2x500GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB SDRAM
• Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)
• Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)
• Bluetooth Module + AirPort Extreme Card
• 16x SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse - U.S. English
• Mac OS X - French
• Accessory kit

My questions is this: Does anyone know if Apple will be soon releasing a stronger/better system than this? I edit film, so I would be willing to wait to buy something better than buy now and find out that better was around the corner,so to speak.

thanks
disfasia

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
disfasia said:
I am thinking of buying the following:
• 2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5.....

My questions is this: Does anyone know if Apple will be soon releasing a stronger/better system than this? I edit film, so I would be willing to wait to buy something better than buy now and find out that better was around the corner,so to speak.disfasia

All of Apple's line of computers will be switched over to an Intal CPU chip before the end or 2006. We can assume the the Intel chip(s) that Apple puts in the PowerPC replacement will be faster then the dual core G5 they use now. But it's hard to know what Intel chip they could use. I'm betting that Intel will release a new server-class chip by mid year or fall and Apple will use that. But who knows, apple may be selling quad Xeons. No one outside of Apple knows when the PowerPC replacement will be anounced except that it will be prior to year end.

Most people think the replacements for the Mac Mini and iBook will come out before the PowerPC replacements. I agree with this because they will have to wwait for the profesional apps to be available before they could sell the high end computers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.