Please advise: Selling G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by floatingspirit, Jan 29, 2005.

1. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Hey Folks,

I am leaving Japan so I will sell my mac. What do you folks think a fair price is in US dollars, or Japanese yen if you happen to be familiar with it. I want to make sure my hopes are realistic.

Thanks for your help.

1.6 ghz single cpu Powermac
    512 mb ram
    80 gig
    cd rw/dvd r (not a superdrive)

20 in apple cinema display

System turns 1 year old on March 1st. I could throw in an isight to sweeten it slightly. Thanks for your suggestions!
  2. Floop macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    Cost new today:

The PowerMac $1500
    The Display $1000
    Total $2500

Expect about 65-75% resale value so $1500 to $1875.

This is dependent on a few things:
    a) You having all the retail boxes etc.
    b) You having the guarantee (the 1.6GHZ hasn't been around for more than a year, I think, so it should still be covered under warranty)
    c) You having a good way to sell it (e.g. eBay with a decent feedback rating preferably 50+ with 100% positive).

This is of course only IMHO.
  3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I think the higher end of those numbers is reasonable. $1500 for the whole set up would not be fair to you at all. But I think around $800 for the display and $1000-$1200 for the powermac would be reasonable. As said before, it does depend on condition, boxes/cds/manuels, and warranty.
  4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    You could get $2000 for the whole setup, imo. The 1.6ghz PM is better than the 1.8ghz one they are selling now. So expecting $800 for the display and $1200 for the Mac is not unreasonable at all. If you have the original packaging and whatnot you could surely get this much. As it is also eligable for AppleCare still, if you haven't purchased the extended warranty yet, you should do so. It will add considerably to its desirability.

5. debroglie macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Do you have a laptop that you will be using there? I will trade you my 15 inch 1.33 Powerbook for your set up. I bought it about 3 months ago. Reply to this message, PM me, or send an e-mail to if you are interested or want to know more.

P.S. I have the ebay ID debroglie867 will 100% feedback and many happy macrumors references
  6. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003
    Uhhh, how do you figure? The current brand new 1.8ghz single processor (available through education outlets) is only $1300. The RevB 1.8ghz machines they're selling now have increased memory speed (PC3200 vs. PC2700), and the 1.8GHZ has a higher fronside bus (900MHz vs. 800MHz). For anyone to spend $1200 on a used 1.6GHz Powermac instead of $1300 on a new 1.8GHz would be idiotic.

Powermac 1.6GHz are going on ebay for about $1100, WITH superdrive, over 1gig of ram, multiple hard drives, airport, etc. I wouldn't expect more than $900 for your Powermac. (I don't mean to be negative, I'm just being honest).

With your 20-inch cinema display, are you talking about the new aluminium bezel model or the old, plastic bezel. The plastic bezel 20-inch screens are only fetching $500-$600 on ebay.

In conclusion, I think you could get anywhere between $1400 and $1600 for your system.
  7. floatingspirit thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Thank you for all your imput folks. I appreciate all your opinions. There really does seem to be a range. I guess the lower end of the 1500-1900 range is what I'll have to expect. I do have all the boxes and the manuals/warranty etc...So far I've been offered about 1300 for the set.
  8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    The current 1.8ghz PM has a 600mhz FSB, like the iMac G5. The 1.6ghz machines have a 800mhz FSB. There were some other things, but I can't remember what they were now that made the Rev A G5s desireable.
    Your'e right tho, the 1.6ghz is selling four between $900 and 1200 depeding on extras. $1200 would be a bit high for this one.
    I was assuming the Aluminum displays, as the system is under a year old, but you're correct again that it could be one of the older ones. In the end I'd have to change my opinion that, assuming it was one of the plastic bezeled displays, that you would be looking at about $1500, in eBay prices at least, which tend to be all over the board. Sometimes (lots of times) they are unreasonably high, others they seem to be on the low end.

Are you selling this in the States or in Japan?

9. floatingspirit thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Hi all,

It sold for 200,000 Yen which is roughly $1900. It had a plastic display, but I threw in a 160 gig external hard drive. I guess I made out, but I figure being in Japan it should be a bit more expensive anyway, like everything else here. Thanks again for the advice.

oops, guess I had better change my signature!
  10. Floop macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    Good result!

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    A number to be happy with, and I'm not at all surprised you managed to get that, although those predicting lower were correct--the Mac market in Japan is smaller, but the prices are noticably higher. In the US, $1900 would be an unusually high price.