Please Apple...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Spanky Deluxe, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

... please put a mute button into Leopard's version of Safari... if I hear one more frickin mosquito that wants me to kill it for a free laptop I think I will explode.

Also, it would be nice if the volume buttons on Apple keyboards could control the volume functions in individual applications if you're using digital audio out.

2. iShane macrumors 6502a

I agree. Its so annoying when you're trying to read/look at something and theres something buzzing or making noise!

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's called PithHelmet. Get it, set it up, love the web again. :D

4. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

PithHelmet does look neat. I'll try it.

The worst is the internet ghetto known as Myspace. :rolleyes:

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

[RANT]

Oh sweet Jesus do I hate that Mosquito...

Ads on webpages never ever bothered me, I just subconsciously ignored them like I always do. But that bloody mosquito actually make me instantly reach for CMD+W any time I hear its festering sound. If I ever meet the person responsible for that ad, I'm going to gut them like a fish.

[/RANT]

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Here, Here. Go on Apple, you know you want too.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I guess it's a good sign of AdBlock's efficacy that I have no idea what the mosquito is? The last mosquito I heard about was the ring tone that supposedly only teenagers could hear (but which everyone I know seems to be able to hear regardless of age).

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Exactly. Thanks to Pithhelmet, Adblock, and other ad-blocking measures, I've never experienced such a thing. And I'm quite happy that it's that way.

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I agree :) My friend who's used Firefox on Windows (although he won't be in about an hour's time, I convinced him to switch last week and his shiny new iMac is in its box beside me as we speak :cool: ) has always raved on about the brilliance of adblocker, so I think I'll give this PithHelmet safari add-on a go. I honestly can't tell you how much that Mosquito ad irks me....

10. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yes, hooray for the AdBlock Plus extension. When I get onto another computer, it takes me a minute to get re-oriented with having the ads there. Especially on MR.

11. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Ad blockers are cool and all, but I'm still surprised there isn't a volume control for Safari anyway. There are a lot of sites that play music that I'd rather not listen to -- but I don't want to put my whole computer on mute because I might be listening to iTunes, or need sound in another application that I'm running.

12. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Have you tried using Camino? It has the ability to block web advertising.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is not exactly what you want, because it's an additional utility... But if getting the functionality is more important than them principle of saying OS X should do this for you built-in, try this application:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/detour/

It's free and it allows you to essentially mute any application (it's primary purpose is to allow you to selectively send certain apps to certain outputs) you want selectively.

14. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Detour is great, but it woun't work if you have an Intel Mac. Does anyone know of an alternative for Intel? I used to use it on my G4, and not I get a new iMac and it doesn't work.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that! :( It's still sadly not on my radar to worry about whether apps I see work on Intel or not! :eek:

I wonder why development was discontinued... it seems like a very nice, simple app, and also something that could be very useful in many settings. The only other weakness was that it could not use the headphone / line out independently from the internal speakers (it claims this is impossible, but Garageband does it, so it must be possible....)

16. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

That's perfect, thanks -- and I don't own an Intel Mac... yet, so it should work for me. :D

I still think volume control is something Apple could easily offer with OS X, so new Intel Mac owners can have this ability too. Maybe show no control by default, but if you go into preferences and select a "show volume control" box, then people could have that option.