Please evaluate this system (Mac) for me, for game performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by quidire, Jul 10, 2005.

1. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are literally ordering this setup tomorrow:
    PM G5 2x2.0
    2.5 GB RAM (2 GB from OWC)
    ATI X850
    ACD 23" (prob, small chance we'll drop back to 20")
    stock 160GB HD

We're going to use it for many things, but one specific task will be gaming. I was hoping you all might tell me how you predict it would perform with the following games:

Star Wars KOTOR
    Sims 2
    Homeworld 2
    World of Warcraft
    and
    Doom 3 (while I don't plan to play it much, it is the benchmark game for our platform, no?)

In addition, I am curious about the following. Assuming that I only want one monitor, would you go with a 2.3GHz PM w/ a 20" ACD or the 2.0GHz PM w/ 23" ACD I describe above?

Thanks!

-RS

2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

That system is going to rock your socks. Don't worry about performance, worry about how you're going to get enough money to buy every Mac compatable game out there.

3. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

Socks-rocking is appreciated :D

We have a "toys" budget each month. $40 on iTMS/month, $100-$150 on Apple stuff per month (the computer is outside this system, natch)

So basically:
    PM2.0 w/ 23" ACD
    or
    PM2.3 w/ 20" ACD

I'm still leaning towards the former. PCI-X seems unimportant, 4 DIMM slots vs 8 seems unimportant, and the speed increase seems small. On the other hand, the size difference between the two monitors is also small. HELP!

-RS

4. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I think you should commandeer your budget for applestuff and ITMS for a couple of months and go for the 2.3 and 23 inch combo it would be sweet as and possibly wait a while on the ram upgrade as that is easy to do later, that will give you more free cash for the 2.3 and 23 inch combo. This way you get the best of everything :)

5. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I second this. Whenever I buy an Apple product, I buy the best as is available. I'm looking into purchasing a 15" PowerBook G4 will all the bells and whistles attached.

I buy the best because I know it will last me the longest. The more computer you buy the longer said computer will stay up-to-date and not obsolete.

So, that being said, I would go for the 2.3 with the 23" ACD. Take some of that $200 you give to Apple every month and put it towards your computer.

Have fun! :)

6. Jazzbolicious macrumors newbie

Get the 23" monitor, because we all know processors aren't transferrable when you upgrade computers, and monitors are! :)

The extra 3" is quite a bit actually, you will see. That system is going to kick serious ass.

7. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

All games will work no probs....

Go for the 2.0ghz with 23" ACD apparently the 2ghz model is the sweet spot in the current range and i doubt the extra 0.3 will give you minimal boost in performance...

SHadOW ;)

8. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a nice machine.

However, keep in mind - most gaming performance doesn't actually depend on your hardware - as much as it does the quality of the port.

Also, remember that most mac ports are - to say the least, 's-word'.

WoW sould run just fine. KoTOR games are pretty buggy (sadly). Sims 2 should run just fine.

But seriously? Doom 3?

I can't stress enough how terrible that game really is. The port is so terrible - performance is lackluster to say the least.

I really wouldn't get a mac if one of my 'prime directives' was 'gaming'. And really, if you don't need it now - why not wait for the new Intel macs next year?

They will be supported in the future - plus, you will be able to run Windows natively to run games.

Granted, you won't be in OSX - and I can understand any gripes - but at least you'll have more variety.

Anyway, it's an amazing system, and I wish I had one. I just can't see the logic in getting an EOL product unless you absolutely need it.

Personally, I'd spend that cash on that 30" HD Monitor - get that mac next year.

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The 850XT is a good choice. :) I would also suggest PM 2.3 w/23" ACD, you can load up on RAM later if budget is the issue! Why? Well RAM prices are almost always going down, and you should buy the best you can afford since you can't upgrade processors or display size down the line.

512MB will be just fine for most games, and when you can buy the RAM it will be even better. :D

10. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

Well it is only one of the required capabilities. EyeTV/Eyehome is another, Photoshop/etc is another (GF), backend LAMP (and perhaps Ruby) development and learning ObjC/Cocoa is another (me), serving central iTunes/iPhoto libraries is another... a PC is pretty much out of the question. It just can't do all that much else but game...

Well it would be tempting except that it will be more like two years for a Mactel PM is released - they are going from the bottom up, and from mobile to desktop.

Yeah, and that makes sense for that this looks like (the third machine in a household) but I see this more as the central machine, the PBs we already have as satellite consoles if we are downstairs or down the street (Mayorga Coffee - free wifi :) ). A fourth machine would not need to be up all of the time, and thus could reasonably be a dual boot...

Although I really hate the thought of having a Windows machine :(

My perspective is that this machine is the most stable and problem free that a PM is likely to be for the next 4 years. If it can run everything I need through that period (I know I'll suffer a bit on games towards the end, even if I up to 4 GB to try to mitigate the ill-effects) I am satisfied. I know that all applications (practically speaking) will remain PPC compatible for a while, and I know the next OS version will be PPC compatible.

I can always buy another computer in two years, and thus have a game machine. For reasons passing understanding, my gf is a wholehearted enabler to my "toys" obsession. :)

Anyway, thanks for the advice :)
    -RS

11. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

Hmmmm,

Well dferrara using this PB I've always found 512MB rather inadequate, but everyone has their own usage pattern...

All three of you have a point; I also (in general) would rather get more computer and go out less the next month. I usually am rather skeptical of the value of CPU bumps; I could replace the X850 with the 2.3 and upgrade that later, but I really don't think that 300 MHz bump will provide much.

The biggest reason is really crachoar's point. I'm going to probably buy a new computer in 2-3 years. For the 500 it would take to move from 2-2.3, I can buy Elgato's EyeHome+EyeTV200, or a Wacom Intuos3 9x12, etc etc. Those are things I can then move to the next computer. I used to consider peripherals useless wastes that draw money away from buying the best computer one can buy. I now see them as what makes a computer valuable to one's lifestyle. The extra speed shouldn't be more necessary than that.

I am more of a gamer than my GF. The money buying this computer is part hers. I want her to get a lot out of it, so I guess our money is better spend getting Adobe CS2, etc etc.

That $500 extra (plus one month's toy budget) can also buy me a Saeco Vienna Digital! :eek: :D (linky) <-- do check this out!

As always, thanks for the advice :)

-RS

12. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

A partial rebuttal to the CPU upgrade suggestions:
    Bare Feats
    -RS

13. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

CS2 Costs 500-1000.

Im sure I read on this forum somewhere someone saying not to bey the X850 graphics card.

I would go for the 2.3/ 20"

14. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Must have been a looney-tunes then, because it's the best you can get for the Mac right now.

--Eric

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You can get a Dell 20" for around $400 and a Dell 24" around $950.
    2005fpw and 2405fpw

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Your new system will kick butt. Enjoy, and like 7on says check the large Dell displays. As much as I hate to plug Dell products they are a good buy.

17. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Great system.

Don't forget to get Star Wars Battlefront and Legos Starwars coming in end of July-August.

:D

18. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I second the person who said to get the Dell 24" LCD. That thing is killer. Better contrast and brightness than the Apple monitor, plus it has HDTV capability (with a cable box) or can be used to display any other analog or digital device using PIP or PBP (picture-by-picture aka side-by-side) Also, it has more modes for resolutions (stretch, scale, letter-box) for those games that don't support the widescreen resolution (which is a HUGE advantage). For games and multiple-usage purposes, the Dell is the clear choice over the Apple display.

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'll third the call for a Dell 24" LCD and the dual 2.3ghz! I've heard nothing but great things about the Dell, and it consistently gets reviewed better than the 23" ACD. Plus all those inputs are handy!

20. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

What happens if one plays a 4:3 game w/ an Apple Cinema Display?

At any rate, I'm buying the Elgato EyeTV 200, so analogue video in does me little good.

Really, I've had such bad experiences with Dell that I really don't want to have to stare at their logo every day. $950 for a 24" vs $1299 for the ACD 23" (edu price)... I'd rather get the ACD. Moreover my GF is only more adamant that we not return to the hassles that we endured w/ Dell. I know it's irrational to assume just because my previous Dell laptop went south (for display issues) that a monitor purchased from them would do the same. I can assume however, that were such a problem to arise I would get the same shabby treatment, and that Dell would have the same problems solving the issue permanently. Instead, I can assume, the monitor would go back repeatedly, always working for 8-9 months before beginning to suffer from the same problem again.

No thank you. (but thanks for the advice)

-RS

21. RobHague macrumors 6502

Nice system there quidire. You are in almost the same position as me, i made a simular thread a few days ago :D unfortunatley i cant really add much since im on the 'edge' of ordering much like you.

I was looking myself at possible 'alternative' displays, are the ACD's really worth the extra cash does anyone know? My other concern is of course nice new G5... non-apple monitor = omg spoiliness of style :p j/k

Btw quidire, your GF.. marry her immediatley! Dont let her get away :D lol she seems to be quite a techno freaks dream come true ^_^

22. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

I just ordered (about 45 seconds ago).
    I went 2.0 / 23". The CPU power difference wasn't worth $500; the monitor is portable.

Well here is what I would say:
    Pro ACD
    1. Sealed, no venting (which means no dust, implicit lack of heat issues)
    2. Appearance :)
    3. Covered by Apple's warranty, can be serviced/replaced by local Apple Stores
    4. Widescreen

Anti ACD
    1. Price
    2. Digital-only
    3. Some games don't have 16:10 support (I have no idea what happens then)

Pro Dell LCD
    1. Analogue In
    2. Features related to the dual input capability
    3. Price
    4. Some prefer 4:3 to the ACD 16:10

Anti Dell LCD
    1. The presence of analogue components and the existence of venting apparatus implies a heat source and a possible point of failure. One should eschew capabilities that one won't use if they can fail, and in their failure threaten needed capabilities.
    2. Dell service
    3. Not widescreen

She's quite a catch. Her family isn't as big a fan of me; they're rather "Red America"ish (and think I'm an arrogant liberal rich kid), but my GF has embraced yuppiedom and Blue America with enthusiasm. She likes British TV and Star Trek, despises spectator sports, and would rather drive a Mini than a SUV. She's perfect.

(I know, I'm bragging; its hard not to sing her praises)

-RS

23. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Whatever the opposite of letterboxing is: you get black bars on the sides.

--Eric

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

25. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

Many of you have posted your best wishes, and I haven't had a chance yet to address them (being caught up in the 2.0 v. 2.3 and Dell v ACD debates).

Thanks a lot! I'm sure I will enjoy it :)

I don't know what it is about certain products that they inspire a sense of community where others don't. Dell, Blockbuster's online service, even Audi (which I do recommend whole heartedly. I love my A4!) may offer poor or great products and services, but no community forms around them.

Conversely Apple, Netflix and the Mini (Cooper) seem to create these communities around them. It's odd on one level, but quite neat on another.

I still don't think I'd trade my A4 for a Mini, but I know the latter is what my GF's going to buy as her first car.

Anyway, my thanks to all of you; be it advice or just encouragement, I appreciate the time you spent :)

-RS