Please, explain PostScript!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jaw04005, Sep 29, 2005.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I'm needing a new laser printer for my home office. I print tons of In Design documents weekly for school, and I'm wondering if I should consider a PostScript printer? As of now, I'm printing on a LaserJet 1012 that takes forever to print In Design documents. Would a PostScript-compatible printer, speed that process up?

I understand PostScript is a printer language, but what does it do for the end user? What's the difference between PostScript Level 2 and 3? Many LaserJet printers support PostScript emulation, is this just as good as natively supporting PostScript?

Thanks in advance.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

One of the biggest plusses to PostScript is that it is a vector language (although, of course, it supports raster images). Therefore, your print jobs are sent to the printer with mathematical precision to the vector parts of the image, which then get rasterized by the printer to it's native resolution, thus ensuring maximum fidelity. Also, due to the vector-based language, the print files are smaller than ones which are pre-rasterized by your computer, which means faster transit to the printer. Also, less CPU usage by your computer.

Diffs between PS2 and PS3? it's been too long (previous PS2 programmer here...) for me to remember, but I'm guessing PS2 would be good enough for most jobs. But you can read up on it here.

As far as raw images go, there's no real plus to PS except for possibly the ability to include color correction info (maybe?), but I'm quite ignorant in that area.

Edit: or, yeah, just cheat and go to wikipedia... ;)

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Raster images get the benefits of postscript halftoning. I made the mistake of buying a color laser printer without any form of PS (real or emulated). The dithering pattern it uses is no equal to PS halftones, IMO.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Good point (vague memories floating back to surface). It's been a while since I knew what I was talking about (if ever I really did ;)). I tend to think only in geeky programming terms (I actually wrote programs in PS back in the day for a GIS product)... raster images weren't my area of expertise.

5. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

not meaning to change the subject...but who is that girl/lady in your avatar?

EDIT: well, after i posted the question it changed back to the lunar moon image, so i guess never mind?