Please explain to me: Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Games' started by Peyton, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

This has always been a strange thing to me.

I've played FF7, 8, 10, and part of 11. All these games are EXTREMELY long and I can hardly even bare it. I was willing to play all of 6 hours a week (on the weekend) back when I did play video games, what is the draw?

Things I appreciate:

Attention to detail
    Character Development
    Artwork
    General creativity

Things I don't like:

-Generally endless and repetitive battles
    -Internal stories so long and drawn out I forget the original purpose or forget all together
    -'no end in sight....ever' feeling
    -4 billion 'bosses' that are generally all the same difficulty
    -Too many characters to keep up with.

OK, so I would even play the game with the a cheat book and would get opressively tired of the whole thing.

By the way, I've never finished a single game, so I'm not completely sure it can be done, but what can I do to enjoy these games?! I love Zelda and other RPGs but never caught on to this one.

Anyone agree? ideas?

2. Jawbreaker macrumors member

I've played the entire Final Fantasy series except for 11 and X-2; my favorites to this day are 7, 10 and 4, probably in that order. The sense of an enormous story has always been what makes them compelling games - and the increasingly cinematic style has only supported that. The random encounters certainly become mind-numbing, but I've yet to find an RPG without a certain amount of grinding involved. For me the character development you listed as a positive also ranks highly - FF4 is a good example of that. But for epic storylines it is hard to beat FF7, which is sort of discursus on trauma in its own right. IMHO, the release of Advent Children is a real injury to FF7's worth. I appreciated the fact that they ended the game without beating you over the head with a summary of what had just happened, hoping instead you had read all of Bugenhagen's musings and figured it out on your own - but Square backed off and made a sequel that broke the ending of the original game.

Also - and I will probably draw hornets for this assertion - with the possible exception of Yasunori Mitsuda's work in Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, the Final Fantasy soundtracks of Nobuo Uematsu are widely considered the finest game scores there are.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like my stories simple on the non-perfect games. IMO of course. Just I juggle so many games I forget the plot lines.

Perfect to me? HL2. Pity they messed up the story big time with the abrupt ending.

that said, the earlier FF games have much simpler stories, less characters. Much more basic. And they fit in with my lifestyle just right.

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

best idea ever, if you dont like them, stop playing them. dun dun duuuu

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, the whole repetitive thing gets, well, repetitive. I bought Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for the gamecube. It was a lot of fun, and I definitely liked the real-time action rather than turn-based. But it was really just the same thing over and over again. The world didn't seem nearly as large as in other games in the series, and the way that the story line did or didn't progress wans't very engaging.

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Go find yourself an english translation of Secret of Mana 2 ROM.

Dont ask me where it is.

Its also called Seiken Densetsu 3 !

If you liked Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana (SNES rox!), youll love SD3.

One of the VERY few Square games to let you hit and run, hit and run and not be in "battle" screens.

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Final Fantasy is an acquired taste, in my opinion, as are turn-based RPGs in general.

I would personally recommend Chrono Trigger (SNES) as a good turn-based RPG that is a bit more focused then FF and funner battle system (imo).

Also, for pure fun factor I think Grandia (PS1) and Grandia 2 (DC/PS2) are quite fun. Story is pretty useless in the games but they are actually fun to play.

Personally I loved Xenogears (PS1) and it took me ~80 hours to finish! There is a lot of story in this and it gets pretty involved, some parts of the game are Anime cutscenes while others have you sitting there for 30 minutes just reading pages of story. This was mostly done because the game was taking too long to make and many people hate that; I enjoyed the story. Battle system was fun too.

Edit: See first reply :D

8. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That would be an "acquired" taste. Nobody requires me to have any taste in anything. ;) My favorite type of RPGs are ones that have tactical battles, like the old Ultima games. I think that's much more interesting than the method usually favored by Japanese RPGs, where it's mostly just a choice of attacking or using magic...which gets pretty repetitive. For that reason, I think the Spiderweb Software RPGs (which also have tactical battles) are usually the most fun and varied currently out there, even if the production values are minimal.

--Eric

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

In that case, check out the Fire Emblem games on GBA or GameCube... good stuff :D

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yeah, I did actually get to play a bit of Fire Emblem once, and it was pretty fun. (Though more like a "tactical battle game" rather than "RPG with tactical battles".)

--Eric

11. sixstorm macrumors regular

Final Fantasy 2 and 7 were the only ones that kept me interested enough to play all the way through. I loved the story lines and the Materia system, great addition to the game. Too bad I don't have my PS1 anymore . . .

12. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I have Secret of Mana for SNES, but my SNES is broken. I downloaded Secret of Mana for my emulator on my Mac and have been playing it waaaay too much the last couple of weeks, I forgot how amazing that game was/is.
    Sure, the game is nothing graphically compared to my 360, but all the level-ups and new weapons and equipment makes the game addictive.

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Seriously go find the english translated ROM, youll be happy you did.

Its the best parts of SoM mechanics with like tons of extras!

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I personally did not like SD3 very much and enjoyed SoM a lot more.

Of course, for a similar experience and something closer to Zelda you might try Illusions of Gaia and Terranigma (both SNES).

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You can get updated versions of FF1 and 2 on the GBA. And apparently FF7 runs under Virtual PC quite well *haven't tried*.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Most all turn based/RPG suck....except maybe paper mario/chrono trigger/KOTOR...but the rest suck...hate that waiting to be hit crap.

Bless

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Think of them as games derived from the classic Chess. The point of the battle system should be strategy. If an RPG employs a turn-based battle system and leaves out the strategy then they have forfeited the one advantage of such a system.

In the case of turn-based RPGs that are strategic; those who think they suck simply don't have a taste for that style of game in general... that of course only applies to such games that are also good. :D

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well i like rpgs and turned based games (lots of) but turned based rpgs ? i never got around that either.. i simply can't stand it

19. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

If you find the Final Fantasy games boring, then you're obviously not a turn-based RPG fan. It happens. Not everybody can like the same stuff.

Personally, I REALLY HATE the Metal Gear Solid games. No amount of convincing or pleading or flaming can change my mind.

Hey, nobody's perfect. :p

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Illusion of Gaia was AWESOME. I LOVED the game. Beat it and everything. Amazing game! Good call!

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've been meaning to find a Playstation emulator for a while so I could play Chrono Cross. Hey, if Yasunori Mitsuda did the music, it can't be half bad. Also, for fans of his work, check this out.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If you want a simpler RPG try the Golden Sun series. They're very basic, very big games but because of the simplicity of the battle system and the 4 characters everything just flooows beautifully. You'll never spend too much time in 1 place. It's like someone took Zelda and made it into a turn based fighter. Did I mention it's huge? the first game takes place on 2 continents, the second takes place in the rest of the world!

And the beauty and sadness of Lemuria, Livero (is it called?) and Prox. the way the music, graphics give the player an actual 'feel' is amazing on the GBA.

23. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

got an an XBOX?

24. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

what? No. The games must be perfected to his needs. I mean I am just appauled by the fact that SquareSoft...(enix) hasnt called him up yet and ask him what he wants in his FF game. :rolleyes:

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... Peyton was only giving his opinion :confused:

Heres mine.

I can't stand racing sims (GT series), WW2 shooters, or any MGS game since 1 (2= bad, bad story, 3= don't want a life sim). I haven't like an FF game since 7 and wish they would bring some new magic to the series. something fresh and good. After the disgusting effort that was FFX-2 and AC I thought Square might want to make something good.