Please, for the love of God (irony) make it stop...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LethalWolfe, Aug 30, 2005.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Link

So people have reduced to peddling God as a theme park. Are these peoples' faith so lacking that they have to trick people into believing? Is their opinion of the Scripture so weak they think it has to be replaced by trendy, catch-phrase T-shirts? "Hey kids, don't forget your cheap, plastic dinosaur. Remember, Jesus won't love you unless you have a cheap, plastic dinosaur."

This "business" of religion is disgusting. I could be wrong, but I don't remember reading stories about Jesus attracting followers with marketing gimmicks, slight of hand, and trendy fads.

Bets on when Buddy Christ becomes a reality?

It's because of people like that that I left organized religion.

Lethal

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I personally believe that these folks should be arrested for fraud -- making money off misinformation and psychological manipulation? Damn charlatans.

Of course, no one ever listened to my recommendation that Creationists be forbidden college degrees, since they're incapable of understanding History, Biology, Chemistry, or several other branches of Science, and it furthers fraud whenever some idiot gets a degree from a state university and supports something retarded like flood geology. *sighs*

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

heh heh

4. witness macrumors 6502

Unfortunately many evolutionists choose to ignore the overwhelming evidence supporting a world wide flood. A world wide flood scientifically explains the fossil records that we see today.

Unfortunately it seems that many scientists start from the premise "if it's in the bible then it can't be true". So that means that creation can't be true, there was never a flood, there is no God, etc... This means that they have to constantly theorise about how things came to be as they are today.

With theories of evolution constantly changing and new ideas coming all the time, it takes more faith to believe in evolution that creationism.

Creationism is documented not just in the bible but also in the traditional Chinese hieroglyphs and other texts, yet this evidence is ignored. You won't find any ancient manuscripts depicting an evolution style origin, evolution is a modern anti-God religion.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

1. that's a deliberate misapplication of the word 'faith'

2. if you understood the scientific method, you'd understand that modification of our understanding of the world is good

3. it's a fallacy to pretend that evolution is easily separated from the other sciences, including modern medicine. do you visit a doctor? drive a car? use a computer? thank science.

4. creationism rejects evolution because creationists are threatened, plain and simple. science rejects creationism because it fails tests over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

5. if you hadn't been indoctrinated since birth, you'd be able to approach creationism with an open mind and realize it really doesn't make a lick of sense from a scientific viewpoint

6. attempts to use science to verify creationism is hypocritical and convinces only those who either don't understand science or won't let anything stand in the way of their beliefs. c.f. the fake apollo landings

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm beginning to think Socrates started all of this problem. How could he teach those young people to question the Gods. It's a pity we stopped using hemlock as a remedy for heresy. Of course, some think I'm too soft and argue only stoning will do, but I think a bit of poison will do the trick. Stop all this scientific mumbo jumbo. Ah, bring back the old ways, I say! ;)

7. witness macrumors 6502

Ok, I wasn't really talking about the constant change, I guess that it was a bit misleading to have it in the same sentence. But it does require faith to believe in the ideas of people that cannot be proved, there is no primary evidence supporting evolution.
    I have no problem with that.
    Creationism supports modern science/technology 100%. How do you get computers, they were designed and built by intelligent beings.
    Creationists reject evolution because it is based on unsupported theories, mainly the mathematically impossible idea that life appeared by chance. Give me an example of tests that creation fails?
    Most people today are indoctrinated with evolution from birth, that doesn't make it right. There are a lot of people who are brought up as evolutionists then later examine the evidence and decide that creation is more probable.
    What does faking the apollo moon landing have to do with creation vs evolution (apart from the fact that they found the moon to be a lot younger than they were expecting – moon dust indicated an age of between 6-10k years).

It is a huge misconception that creationists don't believe in science and that the two don't go together, in fact there are a number of renowned scientists who do believe in the evidence that supports creation.

8. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

So, all that aside(forest for the trees, man), you think it's fine for people to sell Jesus Christ as an amusement park? For Christianity to be marketed like Disneyland? For the word of God to be replaced by catchy slogans? For the religion that I'm assuming you hold dear to be turned into a superficial, capitalistic venture? These people aren't preaching faith they are selling Christianity as a product and that doesn't bother you one bit?

A couple of things to keep in mind. Faith and fact are not synonyms and Pride is still one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

Lethal

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Now, knowing a little about Chinese history, I would really love to see your links and evidence for this.

10. TheT macrumors 6502

11. witness macrumors 6502

I read this book a few years back that explains it all, it's very interesting. Just look at the customer reviews.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

But what about freedom of religion?
    :confused:

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

People who post customer reviews on Amazon are almost always predisposed to give good reviews on something they purchase. Furthermore, by the sound of those reviews there wasn't a sceptical mind among them.

I'm aware of some postulated links between Hebrew, pre-Xia and Shang glyphs but this does not provide evidence for creationism.

Evidence is far too strong a word for what you propose. This is a continuing problem amongst creationists: understanding the difference between a hypothesis and a theory, and what actually constitutes actual peer-reviewed evidence.

14. witness macrumors 6502

No I don't think it’s right to sell Jesus Christ as an amusement park, but I don’t believe that is what they are doing here. Ken Ham's primary focus seems to be to talk to Christians who have decided to reject Genesis.

Christianity is a faith, but creationism is a science; you do not need to be a Christian to believe in creation. I guess that they're just trying to show that dinosaurs actually support creation.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Creationism is NOT a science. You clearly have no idea what science is. :rolleyes:

16. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Well I personally don't believe in evolution. It exists small-scale, sure - that's how animals adapt to their surroundings - but massive genetic chance in a short amount of time isn't feasible, at least in my mind.

I wish evolutionists wouldn't simply blow off creationism; Most creationists actually look at the data "supporting" evolution, and going by what they know of creationism, they compare the two and pick the one that makes most sense to them. I chose creationism - All the hundreds of perfectly (and imperfectly) built intricacies of the universe and particularly animals and humans could NOT have happened ultimately by chance. It was clearly designed, and I believe so by God.

And before an evolutionist mentions this - I realize evolution is supposed to be a process strung over "millions of years" :rolleyes: Creationists are not as "stupid" as some of you think.

17. witness macrumors 6502

If you are interested then why not read the book for yourself, then you can form your own opinion. Whether you consider it to be evidence or not, it is there and has been for many thousands for years, long before evolution came along.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I have read other books like this... there's nothing in them that supports verifiable proof for creationism. The inanity of that second sentence beggars belief.

19. witness macrumors 6502

Where do you get the idea that creationism isn't a science? Do you consider evolution to be a science? If so then you have to accept creation as a science; an alternative science to evolution.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And you clearly have no idea of the processes involved or what 'chance' actually means... yet another happy-clappy patsy with their head in the bloody clouds.

For pity's sake, I feel like we're rolling back to the Dark Ages here.

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Creationism provides no verifiable scientific evidence for its hypothesis. It's not even worthy of being called a theory.

Evolution has decades of peer-reviewed evidence and constitutes real science along with the geological record, not half-baked wishful thinking.

I'm not going to continue this discussion with you anymore. I hope that one day you will be lead from the darkness of your ignorance...

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Neither of them are sciences; they are theories which take parts of established sciences - biology, physics, chemistry and various other 'ologies' to try to prove themselves.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sounds like Bush's spinmasters are working for the Church. What a bunch of crap is all i can say, evolution is occurring every single day but our life times are way to brief to notice it. Thats why when you dig into the earth say down to million's of years you start finding bones of creatures who lived then. Its sad that people are brought up on the BiBle thinking it answers everything. The new testament is a great teacher on how to treat others but the old doesnt exactly do much in the way of science unless you are spinning things. Evolution is based on science,creationism is based on a book written by primitives 2,000 years ago. Heck just look at mans height & body mass 2,000 years ago vs now. We are growing folks and thats evolution.

24. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

No, I've looked at EVERYTHING evolutionism has to offer in the way of evidence, but I'm not convinced. And who said large-scale evolution is "correct"? It's just as unproven as creationism (which, believe it or not, actually has a lot of evidence supporting it).

Somehow I think a lot of people are evolutionists because they can't deal with the fact that they aren't at the top of the food chain and that they're responsible to someone higher... figures. Humans are so egotistical and arrogant it's not even funny.

25. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Please, please read this article in the New York Times and explain to me how what it says is not true. There's a bit of anti-religious sentiment in the article, which I personally find ridiculous, but the science is rock-solid.

One other bit -- creationists who argue they are "100%" behind modern technology are missing the point. Modern technology relies on the fact of evolution in order to work. Most progress in combatting cancer and AIDs deals with understanding the mechanism for evolution and developing drugs that can fight diseases that are themselves evolving. You can't say you're "behind" modern technology and then reject the science behind it. If you don't "believe" in evolution, you also don't "believe" in treating cancer.