Please give us the power to delete threads we start

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Dec 7, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000

please give the ordinary poster the ability to delete a thread they have started

this is the way it used to be and there was far more control and less flaming in the old days of macrumors

let me explain:

sometimes a person may, in haste, write something inflammatory, sexist, racist, or whatever, and not mean it and want to take it back in a thread they have started

...but they cannot delete a thread they started if they have second thoughts

and the threads like those become even worse and turn into a hatefest and flamefest

being asian american, i am aware of this more than many here and when the average poster had the ability to remove a thread they started, there was much more control
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Maybe if there is only your one post, but if a discussion gets going, well, then you're deleting everyone elses. It would be better if arn could allow the thread starter/owner to dump it to the wasteland. And if you're having second thoughts about what you posted, well, just delete the whole thing (text in the post and title) and replace it with something like 'mods please delete'.

In any event, if you really have to get rid of a thread, all you need to do is let a mod know and we'll take care of it. If done it in the past, just send us a pm.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I would agree with the ability to delete a post, my reason would be to get rid of a mistake ex. duplicate.