PLEASE HELP…my Powerbook G4 won’t start up!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dferigmu, Sep 2, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I have no idea what happened to it. I took it to Hungary where I used it for a year. Everything was fine until I moved back home.

Now, when I try to turn it on, it beeps 3X, the sleep light on the front is constantly on, blinking 4X occasionally, the screen is black, and nothing else happens. :(

The only thing I did with it was move it around a bit since security at London Heathrow was a disaster. What’s the matter with it? Thanks for any help!
  2. macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2006
  3. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Three beeps should mean your computer knows it has RAM but thinks all the chips are dodgy. Maybe take this to a technician or, if you're comfortable with changing RAM, try some different chips.
  4. macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    You've probably partially popped the RAM modules out of their sockets. Open it up, remove and re-seat the modules in the sockets and see what happens.

You angle the modules to insert the contacts in to the socket. They take a fairly firm push in, *while* they are up on the 30 degree angle. Only then lay them flat down into the sockets side-clips. You should see little or none of the gold contacts remaining visible when the module is flat.

Also try the modules one at a time, on of them may be actually bad.