Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I was looking to buy a MBA through craigslist and came across this deal. For a sealed 2013 MBA with, 256gb ssd, it is selling for $1050. He posted the serial number as a picture and i checked it out and looks clean on the apple serial checker website. What do you guys think of this? Sketchy, or not? Too cheap? Or just a good deal? any thoughts are appreciated, thanks! :)

Update: I went through with the deal, and it really was sealed. Saved me a lot of money! $1050 for a $1299 machine + tax. seems like craigslist does have some legit deals sometimes.

Last edited:

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
Call and tell the buyer you'll definitely buy but you want to open it before handing over cash because of all the brick in a box scams. If they're "legit", this shouldn't be a problem. This goes without saying, but make sure to meet in public place preferably with cops nearby.

Last edited:

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Call and tell the buyer you'll definitely buy but you want to open it before handing over cash because of all the brick in a box scams. If they're "legit", this shouldn't be a problem. This goes without saying, but make sure to meet in public place preferably with cops nearby.

Excellent advice, thanks for the tip!

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
Excellent advice, thanks for the tip!

No problem. I have done a lot selling and buying from CL. The seller should be just as suspicious of you as you are of them. And if you get that weird feeling, just bail. Saving a couple hundred dollars is not worth your life or losing a grand. Good luck!

Last edited:

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I have sold stuff on craiglists and have yet to come across folks that give me the creeps. Not sure, definitely would call the seller to check if they sound legit. Often, I have even let buyers into my own home. Maybe some people are genuinely interested in buying/selling things?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.