Please help a born again Mac user...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by theirishfreedog, Jan 2, 2003.

1. theirishfreedog macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2003
    D CO
    So after about a 8 year hiatus from Macs I am back and am in desperate need of some knowledge so I am begging the fellowship of the board for some advise-

1. Is Limewire the only app to trade mp3's on because if it is I am severely dissapointed. I am batting about .100 with downloads and it is starting to agitate me not to mention there isn't very much quality stuff to choose from anyways. I am supposing that Kazaa is windows only?

2. I am in desperate need of a good, quick Mp3 ripper and as well as a sound file editor to cut up my DJ mixes and track them out. I used to be able to rip with winamp but since I cannot right click I can't select the options menus- any secrets out there folks that I'm missing?

3. Does winzip work for mac?

4. Is Ircle the best IRC for Macs?

Ladies and Gentlemen I thank you for your time and would like to say that I am glad to back with Macs it is just that I am having a difficult time adjusting to not having a right click if you know what I mean-
  2. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Re: Please help a born again Mac user...

Welcome back.

Limewire is not the only - nor is it the best way. For mp3's, I'd suggest looking at - XNap - Drumbeat (shareware)

both of these programs connect to the SAME network (opennap) so should yield similar results... but you milage may vary.

Control-Click is the equivalent to Right Click usually. Why not use iTunes for rip songs?

Doubtful. StuffitExpander decompresses most zip files.

I prefer Snak - but it's a personal preference. Check out - there are a lot of clients available.

You can get a two button USB mouse and works well under OS X. Or just Control-Click.

3. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    No Limewire is not... Look on google. Xnap is good. If you have unix on your mac you can use Kazza lite (tones better than regular kazza). Hey you can use Carracho (mac only hotline) now to get files. (do not Download warez) :p ha.

There are many cool audio programs, I use Reason. There are many mac only pro audio programs, ask around.

Oh your right click! Get any Microsoft mouse or any USB mouse plug it in! Now you have right click! Os X has drivers for just about every mouse out there. For now just hold control then click.

Stuffit Which I think comes w/ OS X can open just about any compressed format but exe. If your comp doesn't have stuffit get it of

If you have some PC only stuff you need to open or some PC only apps you can pick up Virtual PC 3.0-4.0 cheap. Or get 5.0-6.0 for os x for about $150+
  4. melchior macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2002
    either you got your words mixed (unix=vpc????) or a large hoard of people would like you to go into detail!!!!
  5. theirishfreedog thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2003
    D CO
    Thanks for the imput folks, this is why I am digging the Mac world more than PC planet- the people are more down to earth and helpful. Anyways, does the control-right click thing work for OS 9.2.1? Because I tried that with Winamp and it did not work so I was wondering if that flew with the older OS.

I looked at Xsnap but it looked like it only was for OS X- ? Let me know because I really don't want to ever use limewire again-

Again thanks guys and gals- y'all rule.
  6. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    what computer are you using- if you are a recent switcher, my guess is you have new, or pretty new hardware. if so, ditch os 9, and get a copy of x.2 (jaguar).

it is a must, unless you happen to make a living with audio.

if you like os 9, chances are you will fall in love with os x.

as for no right click in win amp- it may not have any right click options. i would definitly reccomend spending $20 on a two button mouse, so you do not have to hold ctrl every time you want to right click.

ditch win amp. use itunes (free), audion, soundjam... anything but the buggy and slow winamp.
  7. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2002
    the great ether
    win or lose?

anything with 'win' in it, chuck it out.

isn't it just a mp3 player/converter? use itunes, comes free or download the latest version from

right click? don't we get the same effect by just holding down the single button on the mouse, the context menu if there is one pops up?
  8. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    :) and :(

First of all, it sounds like you're a recent Windows (or maybe even Linux) to Jaguar switcher. Well, in that case if you really don't know how to really use a Mac (after 8 years, a lot of things have changed) get VirtualPC for your Mac. Windows still runs pretty badly on it though. (yeah yeah all micro$hit products are really horrible)
    Second of all, has a Kazaa-compatible program called Neo i believe. It's not that bad.
    Lastly, have fun experimenting with your Mac! Don't do too much though. I practically wrecked a dual 1ghz Power Mac G4 that way.