Please help a dumb person, moving ipod to "new" computer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by theanimala, Mar 2, 2007.

1. theanimala macrumors 6502

Mar 2, 2007
    First off, I want to apologize for being such a noob. I was gifted a 30GB ipod 6 months ago. I never thought I would have a need for an MP3 player, but I am a total believe now. I went from thinking I would never use it to ripping every CD I have, buying a Bose Sounddock for my Bedroom and a dock to use the ipod with my main home stereo, as well as kits to play it in both my wife's car as well as my own. I haven't messed with a CD in months now.

Sorry to go on, but I am just so impressed with this device. Problem is, I never set it up properly, and I have music, podcasts, and video's all over my computer. My PC is running horribly (Win XP 4 years old without a reinstall) and it is about time to do a HD upgrade and reinstall.

Since my files are everywhere, is there an easy way to hook up my ipod to my 'new' computer and have all of my music moved there? Is there an easy way to use itunes to move all of my music to an external HD so I can then make the new itunes see it?

I do wish I placed everything in one place when I first got the ipod, but I really never did believe I would be sucked in like I have been.

Thank you to all that reply
  2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England