Please help. Airport Questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hirooroo, Aug 11, 2005.

1. hirooroo macrumors newbie

My ibook has some problem with the Airport/ Internet Connection that the Mac Genius in Tokyo could not even help.

Here in Tokyo, McDonald's has free wireless connection provided by Yahoo. On Day 1, when I turned on the ibook, a message came out, like "detected an untrusted network, do you want to name it FREEPORT?". I clicked "Yes" and I got connected to internet successfully.

On Day 2, in McDonald's again, I had a similar message "detected an untrusted network, do you want to name it XXX?". This time, I clicked "No" and after that I could not connected to any free wireless service by Yahoo. That message does not exist again.

I think I made a mistake. How can I fix the problem?

I went to Apple Store Ginza and a Mac Genius used one hour to work on it. Finally, the fact was he cheated that he fixed it successfully.
    Now, I am in Apple Store Shibuya. The Mac Genius wanna format my machine, which I don't want.

Could anybody here help me? Thank you.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In the airport settings in the network settings I think there is an option to edit your trusted networks list. I'm not at a Mac right now so can't be more specific, sorry.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the Network Preferences (as robbieduncan stipulates) there is a drop down list with two options. Connect to wireless networks automatically (by default) or connect only to preferred networks. Is yours set to connect automatically or not?

Also, does the same problem occur in other accounts on your Mac?

And one last thing. Thos geniuses are pretty damn competent. They've seen the machine which is something we can't do so I'd take their advice over our own. If they say you must reinstall, then so be it. However, we'll try to help until then so that hopefully we'll get lucky and stumble across a solution. :)

4. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

So....in Japan you get internet at McDonalds, and here in the states we get DVD rentals? Man, US Marketing Blows.

Sometimes the wireless router can just be buggy, I have a DLink at home, and 95% of the time can join, but 5% I can't....usually I just turn airport off, and then back on, and it will connect.

I don't see how formatting the OS would help out a hardware issue....

Maybe make another user account and try it from there, if you can connect from the new user, it's just a setting on your account that needs to be changed.

Gomen ne!!

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

We only get crappy burgers over here. :(